Sheared screw - help please!

Kuorider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2014
Have you ever successfully managed to get a small bolt out with an Easyout?

Everybody I know that tried, including myself (stupidly, several times), broke it in the bolt, which rendered the item unrepairable.
Dave, we used to repair this by making a hollow cutter to remove the metal between the easy -out and the casting, then Helicoil if required, not an economic proposition on a bike but a whole lot of sense on an expensive engine casting. Too big an Easy -out and the nasty stuff hit the fan for the poor sod who tried it. Don't even ask what happened if the cutter broke!!!

maloflora

Pedelecer
Nov 13, 2012
Thanks all - very useful advice and lots of options to try.

I think it's my own fault it sheared. I put quite a lot of weight on it during riding and I think at home it's been resting on the rack which might have pushed it over to one side and put more pressure on that bolt over a long period of time.

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Get your local bike shop to centre punch the stub and then drill it out with a slightly undersized left handed spiral drill, if you are lucky it should unscrew cleanly as you drill

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I concur there is enough proud to put a small slot in for a screw driver to un do.