Sherlock - Anti-theft gps tracker with gsm for bikes

D

Deleted member 4366

Problem is, most bikes are made of metal; trackers are generally radio-based and won't work inside metal tubes. Hiding tracker inside a plastic battery case might work, but in any case if it's GSM based, there's going to be a significant connectivity cost.

Sent from my SGP311 using Tapatalk
Good point; however, you can get carbon fibre handlebars on ebay now for about a tenner. Would it work in CF?

D

Deleted member 4366

I think that this is one of the added value items that the premium brands could include to justify their higher prices. Along with a register of the owners it would destroy a market for second hand stolen quality bikes. A GSM , GPS module is now very low in cost basically inside many of the phone chips. . It could be mounted in the battery compartment and enabled whenever the bike is locked. As the battery housing is plastic , the radio signals can propagate .
There would be no need for payg cards . The major companies can commandeer sets of data only links . Recall the original Kindle deluxe model has a lifetime GSM module and
account so that emails and books can be downloaded on what they call wispernet This was free of cost to the end user. The data rates are tiny in these applications
Bosch please copy and I will waive my design fee. ....
I think that's a brilliant suggestion. it seems so logical. Why didn't Bosch do that instead of that stupid Nyon thing that never worked?

Branko

Just Joined
Sep 13, 2017
Croatia
Stromer does it, with their carbon fiber frame they hide the GPS tracker somewhere within; so to get to it you'd have to trash the bike. Of course the price of one of their bikes is... well, very steep, out of what I'm willing to pay for a bike. I think sparta also offers an integrated gps and locking mechanism on some of their e-bikes.

If you're going to market a 3000+ euro bike as a commuter, honestly, it needs a solid anti-theft system, with integrated locking, gps tracking, and the works. It's perfectly doable, but bike manufacturers have to get on board.

huudson

Just Joined
May 19, 2020
This is a good idea. I used another small alarm GPS, in fact most GPS can do this, you do not need to find a GPS suitable for bicycles. And most of the battery life can be maintained for more than half a month.