Shiano Bikes

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Someone posted earlier today about a 3 speed hub version for £382; they bought 2 actually.

It will be interesting to see how people find them to ride; have you got yours yet?

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Yes, I got mine already. It looks much better than I was expecting. I didn't try it out as weather is really bad and I must keep it in my bedroom until I make some room in the shed. I intend to keep it.

As far as I am aware Shiano make bikes for Amazon and if they can keep prices so low at it can be industry changing event. I would love to see Amazon selling conversion kits at good prices at some point.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
step thru 49cm frame for 402 of your english pounds , crazy price for a 10ah pedelec . Esp if a step thru is your thing.

F.lli Schiano E-Moon 28", Electric City Bicycle 250W Motor for Women, with Shimano Nexus 7-Speed Inner Gear Hub in White : Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

A nexus 7sp in parts alone is getting on for £ 170, add a battery say 150 -200 , a motor and controller etc at least another 150 - 200 and the bike it self is free.
Someone somewhere isn't making much or anything from the deal.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Quite crazy that the internal geared 7 sp bikes are selling cheaper the derailleur models, which will be rock bottom spec components compared to the nexus 7.
General mechanical components on all the range will in the main be very crap cheap parts.

The only downside I can see of note is the control system is more then likely to be a speed control system so the max power in each PAS level not being to everyones liking , so be prepared for the hard shove in the back effect as the bike launches off. No so good in slow tight turns.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Of course, it won't be long before people start threads asking how these may be de-restricted. :rolleyes:

Given that it's sold by Amazon, I think it's very likely that replacement batteries will cost more than the £404 bike.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
They are basic speed control systems that given the components used and the build quality, I doubt one would want to go much faster then the 15.5mph allowed . Esp with likely pretty below par braking and the rims supplied.

I893469365902345609348566

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
A badger helped break my wrist at only 12mph :eek:

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
step thru 49cm frame for 402 of your english pounds , crazy price for a 10ah pedelec . Esp if a step thru is your thing.
13Ah. Bike is for my wife and step through is exactly what I was looking for.
Components are budget quality, but better than I thought. Saddle was Selle Royal, battery rack is great quality, pedals not bad, even v brakes are surprisingly good (I tried only in lounge though lol).
There are screws on motor, so there might be a possibility to upgrade to disc brake on front wheel after changing fork.

It is a decent bike not a clanker.

Reactions: RoadieRoger

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Components are budget quality, but better than I thought. Saddle was Selle Royal, battery rack is great quality, pedals not bad, even v brakes are surprisingly good (I tried only in lounge though lol).
There are screws on motor, so there might be a possibility to upgrade to disc brake on front wheel after changing fork.

It all sounds promising, and a bargain. I'd be very interested to see photos or details regarding battery markings, and of the controller and display. Warranty voiding photos of the battery cells, would deffo be asking too much!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

Only time will tell if it is a clunker.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
There's no mention of what cells the battery uses, and it looks only available to buy wholesale at the moment:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
From the price point , the control system is never going to be more then a basic one.

As for the bike no one is condemming them but just explaining not to expect to much from them , they should be ok for a weekend or a fair weather bimble.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Display on my bike is Ananda d15 and is very basic.

On some bikes they use d13 which is much better and programmable. I will post pictures of battery and controller tomorrow. Need some light for that.

Edit:

:)
Luckily I have some spanners
Yep spanners are handy.
Every bike needs them at some stage , even mine to keep the bike in tip top working order.
I have removed my chain this week on rotation cleaning and relubing it , it is now hanging having gone thru a heat cycle to get the lube into the rollers/pins and is now hanging to drip dry. Mean while another older chain is back on having gone thru the same treatment, the winter salt & wet have taken it's toll on the lubing giving the chain a light rusty brown look.
Brake rotors and pads ok at the mo but may give them a degrease on Thursday to rid of any raod detritus build up.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Now that it's colder, I'm finding my old cassette slipping with the newsish chain - I'm grinding through to further wear in to see if that works; gambling that it's suddenly been caused by metal shrinking a little due to cold. If this doesn't work, cassettes for my bike are cheap enough to replace completely... although I may just replace cogs 5 and 6 (out of 8), to see if over years I get through fewer cassettes overall.

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
I've had a Schiano folding bike for a few years, it was sold as the Tesco folding bike, Vertigo brand I think but everything came clearly stating Schiano. I think its just a Italian bike importer the bike itself seems to be a fuji-ta model often sold as Battle in Asian markets. They are the world's biggest bike manufacturer by volume. The quality of the bike is fine, good frame and decent assembly. It only cost me about £20 I think from Tesco direct as I think it was only around £40 and I had a £20 of clubcard points. I remember it being £20 and there was a 4x clubcard boost on but can't remember the exact way I got it to that price.

Looking at the 7 speed Nexus model, the Nexus 7 is actually a 9 speed mechanism with 2 gears mapped out from selection. It's actually more complicated and less reliable than the Nexus 8 and doesn't have the direct drive gear of the Nexus 8 however here it is combined with a front hub motor so the Nexus 7 gets a far easier life and should last many more years or thousands of miles compared to a standard bike with a Nexus 7. The Nexus 7 and front hub motor is just a brilliant combination. For sheer durability and reliability you can't beat 3 speed hub gears as the mechanism is so simple again paired with a front hub motor it is getting an easier life again. It should be exceptionally low maintenance and 3 gears in combination with a front hub motor should be enough for most people.

There is a huge amount of excess stock about now and some brands/importers may have financial issues because of too much dead stock not shifting so some will be forced to clear stock at cost or even below cost and this could be that situation. Alternatively it could be it just wants to get a foothold in the UK market and is loss leading to get its brand out there.

None of the ebikes around £400 appeal to me as a package but you can't question the amazing value of them.