Shimano Nexus 8 gears - tweaking?

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
I have Shimano Nexus 8 gears on my new electric bike. The gears slipped a bit when I first rode it but today they slipped a lot. I guess they need tweaking as they are new? I searched the www and found out if you put it into number 4 gear you should see two yellow marks on the back wheel/hub gear - if not it needs adjusting. However, I CAN see two yellow marks - they make a right angle.

The gears that are mostly slipping are 7 and 8 but it sometimes slips elsewhere.

Before I ring up the shop I bought it from for advice, I just wondered if anyone had any hints or tips for me?

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
If you look vertically down onto the rear sprocket, you will see a little window adjacent to it. With the bike in 4th gear, you should see two yellow lines through the window. If the two lines don't meet, then the gears are out of adjustment.

Where the gear cable enters the changer on the handlebars, you will find an adjuster. It's like a plastic thimble. If you rotate this thimble whilst looking through the little window adjacent to the rear sprocket, you will see the yellow lines move. Just turn the thimble until the lines meet and you will have set up your gears.

The two lines shouldn't form a right angle. They should meet together to form a continuous straight line.

Last edited:

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
Oh brilliant - thanks for that!! Will get Mr Farthing out looking at it in a moment (if I can drag him away from the cricket on the TV).

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
Thanks Tilson - that fixed it. All working well now - phew!!