Short distance commuter hill climber

daniel1974

Just Joined
Apr 25, 2016
Hi,
Currently I've got a 18 min walk (1.2 miles) to train station, 40 min train and 20 mins walk the other end to work.
Looking at cutting down the 18 min walk.
Issue is coming back, 3 roads are rat runs, strictly 1 car at a time and all uphill at between 12-17 degrees. Basically a bit dangerous for about 500 metres. This is the reason I don't take a bike at the moment.
What would you suggest for someone 14 stone, 40 yr old carrying a backpack weighing about 3kg. Bike would be left at the train station so needs to be secure. ideally need a chain guard as I don't fancy oil on my trousers! Ideally folding in case I need to take it on the train the other side.
I need something fun, fast, reliable and under £1000. Need to know that the battery and parts are going to be around in a few years if something goes wrong. Thanks.

D

Deleted member 4366

Leaving electric bikes at the station every day is generally not a good idea.

Reactions: SteveRuss

daniel1974

Just Joined
Apr 25, 2016
Live in East Hertfordshire. Thinking about it it needs to be a folding bike so I can take it on the train which means I can take a later train and still be in on time. However it needs to be really small (even though I'm 6ft) as the train is standing room only by the time I get off in London and there is very little foot space and no storage space apart from above the head. The joys of commuting to London on the train!

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
You can't leave any e-bike lashed to a post though, if the thieves don't have it, the rain will. There is only one folding bike compact enough to go inside a packed train and the underground that I can suggest - the woosh Gallego.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?gallego

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
The Flat Earth in Codicote would be worth a trip. They have a good selection of bikes at a spread of prices.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
We have a new e-bike to be released in about 2 months,it was specifically designed to suit your type of journey.
Regret I cannot release further details at this time but the spec will be...
15 kgs weight
10 secs fold
Suit 5ft to 6ft rider
10 Ah battery,range 35 miles plus
Powerful acceleration,nippy up to 15mph.
Price £735.00
You really need to take the bike all the way,leaving it locked at the station,it will get stolen,either whole or in parts.
KudosDave

ocb

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2015
I have an a-bike electric you can have for a good price. I've been meaning to get mine on Amazon or something for a while.

Feel free to PM me for more details.