Short Julet extension cables.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I would like to get hold of sone short, 40cm maybe 50cm, Julet extension cables.

There are plenty of the Julet extension cables on AliExpress, but the ones I can find are all 80cm long.

I would like;

2 x Blue, 4 pin.
2 x Orange, 3 pin.

Of course I could use the longer ones, but if the shorter ones are avaialble I would prefer to use those, it makes for a tidier install.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Why not cut, solder (I know you can solder well, from your advice in a previous thread) and join with self adhesive marine 4:1 heat shrink? The adhesive is a thin layer of some kind of hot glue, therefore the result can be a little stiff, but the sleeving is flexible till it cools. I used this stuff recently, which is shrinkier than the avergae heat shrink. Usefully, it starts wide enough to slip over most connectors:

Last edited:

JPGiant

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2017
West Yorkshire
I had a similar problem some time ago. ended up buying the longer ones and cutting them in the middle, shortening to required length and re-soldered each wire with shrink wrap over each, then a larger shrink wrap over the whole cable.
Other, cheaper option is to loop the excess cable and tie-wrap it to the bars or another part of the frame.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I had considered cutting and splicing, got plenty of heat shrink here, some of the hot melt glue stuff as well. Not so tidy a solution, although the join could be just inside the controller bag and hidden.

I have since discovered that 20cm Julet extension cables are available from Swytch @ £15 each, so using these would cost me £120.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Every ugly cut and soldered joint of mine is hidden away behind webbing, which also helps reduce the possible breaking strain over time, which might be exerted by tight zipties securing cables containing delicate thin wires to the frame. Handy obscuring material, is that PC cable webbing - I've got multiple cables running through some of them, which would be an eyesore without it.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I had considered cutting and splicing, got plenty of heat shrink here, some of the hot melt glue stuff as well. Not so tidy a solution, although the join could be just inside the controller bag and hidden.

I have since discovered that 20cm Julet extension cables are available from Swytch @ £15 each, so using these would cost me £120.
Wow :oops: What's this project of yours which requires so many short lengths?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: guerney

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Wow :oops: What's this project of yours which requires so many short lengths?
Its just a tidy up of an existing install, currently using 80cm cables, I would use 40cm if I could buy them hence the question.

I have no intention of using the (somewhat expensive) Swtch cables, just posted the info to show that shorter ones do appear to be made.

• Informative
Reactions: guerney