Shortlist down to 2 (Orbea/Wisper) - Thoughts/Comments

Terry1100

Pedelecer
Dec 18, 2014
I posted here about a year ago when I first considered a Pedelec. SInce then, my ropey Kawasaki managed another years MOT so the buying decision was delayed.

I have been researching extensively since then and have ridden a number of different bikes to help narrow my choice.

I'm down to two - both of which I have ridden and like. The first is the Bosch powered Orbea Keram Comfort, the second is the Wisper 905 Torque described as "a real Bosch alternative". The £300 price differential (5765Wh Wisper) is a factor but not an over-riding one if the Orbea is clearly £300 "better"

Any thoughts on the relative merits from the wise and experienced people here ?

http://www.orbea.com/gb-en/ebikes/keram-comfort/

https://amps.bike/product/wisper-905-torque/

TIA

Terry

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Battery position on the Keram + 28" wheels + frame lock + sexier looks (eye of beholder) would be my choice.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The Orbea looks expensive for what it is - more than £2K for basic bike bits, an active motor and the smaller battery.

Have a look for KTM and Cube bikes.

You could get better bike bits, the 500wh battery and the Performance motor for the same, or less.

Reactions: EddiePJ

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
One of the nicest features of the Bosch is the torque sensor, giving a more natural response from the pedals.

But the Wisper also provides this same sensation by using a torque sensing BB and a rear hub motor.

So with the Wisper the difficulties with a centre drive transmission train are eliminated.

I'd go with the Wisper, for now, until we show a similar arrangement in the spring.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes
C

Cyclezee

The Heinzmann that I eluded to earlier has a bottom bracket torque sensor, tried and tested bullet proof totally silent motor, plus 555w downtube battery, two year warranty, choice of frame sizes etc. for less money than any of the bikes mentioned so far.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
The Heinzmann that I eluded to earlier has a bottom bracket torque sensor, tried and tested bullet proof totally silent motor, plus 555w downtube battery, two year warranty, choice of frame sizes etc. for less money than any of the bikes mentioned so far.
Yep. The system of torque sensing BB and rear hub drive has a lot of advantage in my view.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
My Kudos Rapide...BPM hi-torq motor,Tectra hydraulic brakes,30 speed Deore gears,anti aqua plane tyres,wind cheating battery,£1395.00
There will be an ex demo bike coming up soon,priced about £1000.00.
KudosDave

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Anti aquaplaning tyres on a bike, wind cheating battery, sounds like a load of M.B.E.:rolleyes:
MR sheldon brown. RIP ( bookmark http://sheldonbrown.com/ him if you haven't already) says hydroplaning doesn't happen on bikes as we are too slow. Think circa 70 mph. If the wind cheating battery lets you do that then I want one!
Ps would you do 70 in the wet or save it for dry days?

Last edited:

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Let's not get off topic. The OP asked specifically about two bikes.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Last edited:
Reactions: Terry1100 and D8ve
C

Cyclezee

Let's not get off topic. The OP asked specifically about two bikes.
This comes over like a gagging order.
I'm sure that I am not the only one to wonder what it was about those two bikes that put them above the host of others available and hope that Terry might enlighten us.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I wondered as well. More than likely the local availability of the products and the availability of first class local support would have had a lot to do with it. If you then narrow the price band to £1,500 to £2,000 and demand torque control, the choice of bikes decreases quite dramatically?

All the best David

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
This comes over like a gagging order.
I'm sure that I am not the only one to wonder what it was about those two bikes that put them above the host of others available and hope that Terry might enlighten us.
Ha! No - not anything other than my observation. Your post was about a bike with a Torque sensor. Absolutely almost completely on topic!

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
What difficulties?
None that can't be overcome by some careful design choices (gears, gear selection and chain), but there is a cost implication. The OP asks about the extra cost of the Bosch system.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes