Shunt mod cutting out when full throttle

Wizzoere

Pedelecer
May 7, 2020
Hi there. I've just done a shunt mod an now sometimes it picks up so quick it can jolt itself an cut out. But if gradually twist throttle its ok

Wizzoere

Pedelecer
May 7, 2020
As last night covered half an it went way quicker but never cut out so today I decide to cover all of it an now I have it cut out at full throttle unless I gradually build up the throttle an cant feel it jolty

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Your only solution now is to uncover it. You should never go over 30% of the length. Get as much solder off as you can with the soldering iron, then use a small file. If you can't get enough solder off to solve your issue, file a series of grooves in the shunt.

If you allow too much current, the controller will overheat and blow the mosfets, which is why 30% is the absolute limit, regardless of what your battery can give.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Heat the solder and try a solder sucker if it doesn't come off by staying on the iron.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Ok thank you. But how come covering more of it does that?
Because it fools the controller into passing more current. The more that is covered, the bigger the current until something has to give. Sounds like you have been lucky not to blow up your controller.