Silly mistake.

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Silly mistake I just made. Went to take the battery off, stuck my key in the charging socket. Oops, brief flash. What have I done, is there a fuse? Display won't power up. Charge lights on battery still work.

MikeFB

Pedelecer
Jun 25, 2020
Wow, I've gone to do this a few times also. Luckily enough though there is a rubber cover over the charging socket, which obviously tells me I'm on the wrong side of the battery before I even attempt to insert the key.

Not too sure what may have blown, so expect someone with vastly more experience than me will be along I'm sure. There is by the way a fuse in the casing of my Hailong battery I believe.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Silly mistake I just made. Went to take the battery off, stuck my key in the charging socket. Oops, brief flash. What have I done, is there a fuse? Display won't power up. Charge lights on battery still work.
It wiuld help if you told us which battery you have.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Most charge sockets are covered/protected so quite hard to make such an error.

Simply you have shorted the battery, if there are any ext fuses via grommet then these can be looked at to change.
Damage will have been done somewhere and most likely either the charge wiring or BMS is smoked. Battery will need opening to see.

MikeFB

Pedelecer
Jun 25, 2020
I believe it's inside the case on that battery. Just a few screws to take off the case cover too see.

i could be wrong but may be similar to this:

Reactions: Bikes4two

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Thanks for the videos. No fuse! Looks like it's fried the bms, a slight whiff of magic white smoke in there. So looks like there is room to fit a blade fuse holder, would that be wise, what amps? Thoughts on where to get a bms replacement? 37619

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
This looks similar, the difference is the two white wires going to the small white block on the (no) current bms. Temperature cut out?
Different wires too, no blue wire in mine, two black and one yellow.

Emanresu

Pedelecer
Dec 28, 2019
It's The Current That Kills

Offhand it would seem that a shock of 10,000 volts would be more deadly than 100 volts. ... While any amount of current over 10 milliamps (0.01 amp) is capable of producing painful to severe shock, currents between 100 and 200 mA (0.1 to 0.2 amp) are lethal.

Source: Ohio State U.
If the battery is 17.5A then wouldn't it advisable to get a professional to look at it.

If you can't tell the difference between a lock and a charging port, then perhaps you might want to consider your options.

More reading

Or viewing

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
If the battery is 17.5A then wouldn't it advisable to get a professional to look at it.

If you can't tell the difference between a lock and a charging port, then perhaps you might want to consider your options.

More reading

Or viewing

Thanks for the advice. Filed in the round and deep pending tray.
The mistake was not putting the rubber bung in the charging port.
The other mistake is not fitting a fuse in the first place. That wasn't me.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi Jim,

I think there is a protection circuit and a fuse inside.
I'll ask Andy tomorrow.

MikeFB

Pedelecer
Jun 25, 2020
Yeah I'd tend to agree with Emanresu. If it's more than just a fuse and you don't know anything about batteries then I'd leave it to someone who does. Not worth the risk.

I've been working on cars for over 35 years as a hobby and I leave most of the electrics to someone else, unless I can do the job with the battery disconnected. When I was 16 as a YTS mechanic was working on a car with the senior apprentice, he was wearing a metal strap watch while working on the steering column of a car, when suddenly the horn blow and a loud shout came from him. He was lucky he got away with just a nice burnt image of his watch around his wrist and a bit of a shock! should have disconnected the battery, and removed his watch, lesson learnt!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon

More reading

Or viewing

I wish people wouldn't use fear-mongering when people have problems. Can you name one person that has ever been electrocuted from a 36v ebike battery? If not, why bring that into the discussion?

The guy made a simple mistake that anybody could do and others have done. it wasn't because he can't tell the difference between a charge socket and a key slot. Let him explain what his ability with electrics before condemning him as incapable.

Many of us hadn't any knowledge about ebike batteries before we started messing about with them. None of us have burnt our houses down.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
What sort of charging socket do you have? Can we see a photo because I cannot understand this, there is no way I could get a key into the two types of charging socket that I have.

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Thanks @Woosh , I'll ring sometime this week. There's no sign of any fuse in the battery case. As for the doubting Thomases, done lots of general wiring over the years, houses, cars, completely wired my narrowboat, that's got 450ah batteries and a 135w mppt solar setup. I'm still here. Red is earth in a plug, right? :rolleyes:
As for the key fitting the charge socket, it doesn't, but the key tip is pointed enough to touch the live pin and connect with the neg outer. Which is just possibly why it should be fused like those in the video. I presume, having thunk while on a walk, that a 5amp input charge socket would be best protected with a bit more than a 5amp fuse, maybe 10amps.

I like my posts to keep everyone happy, them as likes to learn, learn, as do I. Them as likes to whinge, grumble and snipe at newbies or whoever get to do that, they are well happy. Perhaps a useful bit of info they could impart, how does one get through life without making a mistake ever? :D

Onwards and upwards, two metres apart ;)

MikeFB

Pedelecer
Jun 25, 2020
wow I hope that my post wasn't taken that way. i don't know who you or anyone else is on this forum, nor do they know me or my back ground.

So sorry if it sounded like I may have said otherwise. But was merely reflecting on the just in case bit. As we all know there are often those that don't know (that often includes me) and if you don't at least point out any possible dangers no matter how small then often they return with a bigger issue later.

Reactions: jimriley

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
wow I hope that my post wasn't taken that way. i don't know who you or anyone else is on this forum, nor do they know me or my back ground.

So sorry if it sounded like I may have said otherwise. But was merely reflecting on the just in case bit. As we all know there are often those that don't know (that often includes me) and if you don't at least point out any possible dangers no matter how small then often they return with a bigger issue later.
I have no problem really, I do enjoy a bit of banter, there's always one or several on any forum who do snipe and pick though. I don't take it to heart :)

Reactions: MikeFB

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
I expect there is a fuse in there somewhere, probably two, a small one for charging and a larger one for the output. If the unit will still charge, then the BMS is probably ok.

You may even find that a solder joint connecting up the output has failed. This happened to me with a Yose Power battery once. The soldering of the joint on the main fuse was poor.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
:rolleyes:
As for the key fitting the charge socket, it doesn't, but the key tip is pointed enough to touch the live pin and connect with the neg outer. Which is just possibly why it should be fused like those in the video. I presume, having thunk while on a walk, that a 5amp input charge socket would be best protected with a bit more than a 5amp fuse, maybe 10amps.
:D

Onwards and upwards, two metres apart ;)
Thanks for that. I take it that this type of socket plug has two concentric circles. I have just checked mine and think that it is OK as the outside circle is well down from the central hole.
Thanks for warning us though and good luck with repairs.