SIMON Cowell is considering a £10million legal action against the manufacturers of the electric bike on which he crashed and broke his back.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Why did he buy this bike? 'Cos it's big and powerful and makes up for possible deficiency in other areas ;)
Take responsibility for your own actions man. You bought it 'cos it was crazy powerful and then whinged when it demonstrated said power.
On the other side - what were the manufacturers thinking? Why not make an actual motorbike instead of trying to inhabit some sort of legal grey area?
It puts me in mind of the story of the woman who tried to commit suicide by deliberately stepping out in front of a greyhound bus. She failed and sued the company for her injuries - AND WON :mad:
There is so much wrong in this whole situation it hurts.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
He doesn't need £10.000,000.00, I bet its greedy lawyers putting it to him, so they can get their cut.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The super rich are fools with out an ounce of common sense to comprehend most common things, they rely on paid serfs to do anything for them

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
But not to test ride their somersaulting e-bikes, it seems.
That's where the common sense comes in to play, one would have thought a rider would accustom them selves and be a little more familiar before trying to give it some large.
A paid serf would have had more common sense and may have told him to get on his bike, which he did and look what happens when you have no common sense.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It's not the speed but the torque/power he was incapable of handling, as far as can be deduced he wheelied. Apparently the power mapping isn't very gradual and is all or nothing, it sounds like he let rip with the throttle.

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
As mentioned in the previous thread on this, it was not an "e bike" in the sense that we mean it here (restricted or not) - more an electric motorbike.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh and TedG

GSV3MiaC

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2020
"He is considering" .. That is like 'discounts up to'. I am considering all sorts of stupid things, like suing Mr Cowell for bringing pedelecs into disrepute. No wait, I changed my mind...

Reactions: flecc and PP100

Edward Elizabeth

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2020
Buckinghamshire
Hardly the manufacturers fault if he bought a vehicle that he couldn't manage properly. I hope he sues them, chucks millions up the wall in legals costs, and loses.

slowcoach

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
Reminds me of an occasion on holiday in Crete may years ago. Met the holiday rep first morning and the subject under discussion "hiring a small motorbike to tour the island"
A young couple who made the enquiry were keen to hire one of those Honda 50s. Anyone remember them? 50cc four stroke engine capable of carrying 2 people. I advised them that I had one at home and they were very good, BUT...when pulling away from standstill, do it in 2nd gear not first as they are very powerful in first and they could do a wheelie.
Saw them next morning, she was well bandaged/plastered. Yep, they had not listened. She had been thrown off and badly hurt.

Reactions: Edward Elizabeth
D

Deleted member 33385

While trying to turn my ebike (Bafang 250W kit) the other day, slowly, on PAS level 1 - the damn thing jumped forward, I could have been thrown off... I can easily see how people could be injured by surprise torque being applied at unexpected moments - it's a pity that not enogh work goes into refining ebike settings before they're sold, and that you have to jump through hoops with cables, firmware adjustments and PCs to make changes to how the ebike behaves. It'd be far better for all of that functionality to be available on the handlebar controller. A broken back is no joke! Hassles, pains, medications and grumbles for life! All with knock-on effects...

Last edited:

Edward Elizabeth

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2020
Buckinghamshire
To be honest, the Stun story is dire reading. A supposed "whistleblower" bemoaning the fact that the firm did not train Cowell before delivering the bike. Well, it has roughly the performance of a high output 250 motocross machine, and no manufacturer trains the buyer upon selling them one. Yamaha didn't insist on training me before selling me my sub 10 second V-Max, and I'm pretty sure Aston Martin didn't give my neighbour any training before selling him a DB11.

The same is true for manufacturers of knives, shotguns, hammers, anvils, piano lids, or even toothpicks (100,000 Americans seek medical treatment every year for toothpick injuries) so why would this product and Slimon Cowell be any different?

Is suspect the story is chinese whispers reported as a real thing.