Sine wave vs square wave vs dual mode

David Groen

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 24, 2023
I have successfully converted my Sparta RX to run on generic components using the original front wheel motor. I have a Brainwave controller which does everything I need, but is rough under about 5mph. Many posts recommend KT sine wave controllers and LCD display which are slightly more expensive, but that's not a problem. The one I'm looking at is dual mode, but I can't find any info on whether this is square or sine, or if it will cure my low speed lumpiness. I'm using Hall sensors, I'm a gentle 250w commuter in flat Worthing so I don't need raw power or high speed.
Any thoughts before I shell out?

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Hi, That ad is a bit 'fishy', Very good price for a 20a controller +lcd3, however Dual VOLTAGE controllers are very common, dual mode controllers ie sq-wave Or sine wave?? which is what i think that ad alludes to? I too would be asking questions.. - You could take a punt and if its a 'scam' rely on ebay returns /paypal refund..

do KT do a 20a controller?? i seem to recall 17a and 22a being the options to upgrade from 13-15a??

Myself i would probably pay the extra £10-20 or more for a 20a, and buy from a supplier like topbikekit, who detail everything in the ad descriptions leaving no ambiguity..

edit -- also 9x msffets is preferable due to better load distribution and heat dissipation.. 6x versions run hotter..

Reactions: David Groen

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
It used to be ZWS in the designation number is sinewave and SVP is squarewave.

I'm not sure that KT are the best for some motors. I had rough running with a Q75 motor that I solved by adjusting the P1 parameter by trying various random numbers.

Some controllers, like the old KU63 and KU65 from BMSBatterywork well with any motors, but they don't have LCDs.