Slight mod for Cyclamatic battery

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
On doing some detective work on a knocking sound coming from mid to rear of the bike, i narrowed it down to the battery.
I've had two batteries now, with the internals of both slightly different.
After unscrewing the 4 screws from the top of the unit the differences are as follows:

1st battery: the cells are encased in a thin plastic surround taking up about 3 quarters of the space from the bottom to the top. The BMS rests across the top with a foam piece separating it from the top of the cells.

2nd battery: the cells located as 1st battery with a thin plastic surround, but in this instance the BMS is slotted down the side of the cells.

The plastic surround is there to obviously stop any cells shorting out on the aluminium case.
The problem is that although the cells are a snug fit, the whole cell package is only held in the case by what looks like low strength glue.
After riding along a few rough tracks, the shocks break the hold and the cell pack is allowed to slide up and down inside the casing.
Probably why my first battery conked out!
This causes it to bang up and down on the bottom of the case and i very much doubt does it any good.
I simply squeezed a load of 'No More Nails' between the plastic surround and the aluminium case. As much as i could get in without looking too obvious (in case it needs a warranty repair)
Note: the different length top screws when replacing.
In the words of Phil Tufnell 'Happy Days' :)

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
As much as i could get in without looking too obvious (in case it needs a warranty repair)
Sooooo, you come in here, where the manufacturers come, and spill the beans on your nefarious activities ;)

Actually, that's an interesting tip for people with bouncy batteries. Hopefully a manufacturer will take note and do something about it at source :)

Best regards.

Vikki.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
If only i had discovered this on the first battery sooner :(
I just thought it was the bike stand bashing up and down, although i have noticed it has a weak spring, so mod no. 2 coming up ;)
Unlikely SportsHQ will be perusing these threads or be inclined to action any mods if they do.
It's always good to see the likes of Wisper and Oxygen taking note and providing constructive advice on their products. That's why they excel in the products they sell.
Apologies to anyone i haven't mentioned, they were just two that sprang to mind :eek: