Small men's crossbar hybrid recommendations

nighteyeswolf

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 6, 2021
Hello,

I'm looking for my first ebike. I'd been planning to go for a Woosh but the only one they have that would fit me won't be in stock until Feb/March, so I wanted to see what alternatives people would recommend.

I'm 5 ft 4, and am looking for a hybrid - something that's okay on the roads and on trails. The priority for me is something that can do hills - I live in a really hilly area and am chronically ill so just can't do hills on a regular bike.

Preferably looking for a crossbar, but I'm open to something else. I'd prefer something between £1000 - £1500. I tend to prefer to sit relatively upright.

Thanks so much, everyone.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
There are not that many small electric bikes in that price range because the lower profits on the cheap ones don't allow them to have lots of different versions in stock.

Halfords do the Carrera Subway down to 14" frame, though there aaahave been reliability issues with that electrical system. They're mainly OK for a couple of years if only used in dry conditions. Muddy tracks is definitely not their thing. If you have the slightest electrical ability, it's not difficyult to swap over the problematic electric parts to decent ones for about £100 when the Suntour system lets you down.

Another possibility is to convert a normal, which costs from around £500.

Reactions: nighteyeswolf

nighteyeswolf

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 6, 2021
Thanks very much. If I were to go with a step through, would that give me more options? My last normal bike was a 49cm globe sport 2008, if that gives a better idea of height. Honestly I'm a bit confused by the different sizing conventions.

Maybe £2000 is a more reasonable budget?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Best thing would be to go to a bike shop and sit on a few. Be very warey of salesmans's silver tongue. If you find something you like, post details here before you put your cash down if you want independent advice.

Reactions: nighteyeswolf

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Woosh will add a kit to convert most any bike.

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
If you can cope with the customer service are pray to the gods of good fortune, I can recommend the Pinnacle Mercury 2021 from Evans Cycles. I’m 5’6” and was lucky enough to drop on a just built shop model. Fits just fine with good range and sufficient power for me. I was worried about the lack of a throttle to help me start but it delivers power smoothly as soon as the pedal moves.
I would definitely make the effort to visit the shop to try it for size.

Reactions: Perseus

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
I bought a hybrid but it was not robust enough for comfort on the roads = buy a mountain bike with 26" wheels/ 5 ft 6"

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
The Pinnacle Mercury rides on 27.5” tyres that have a decent width and profile. The bike is also rated for trail/towpath as well as road use and so far has proven to be very robust hauling my 13st plus a couple of cans per ride.