Help! Small step through frame

PaulaA

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 7, 2019
I’m looking for help finding a small ladies step through ebike. I am 5’2 so need a 15 or 16 inch frame but i’m struggling to find one for under £1000. I would prefer it not to be a folding bike.

Are you able to make a suggestion?

PaulaA

Apr 7, 2019
Thanks but I have a 17 inch non e bike bike with 24inch tyres and it’s too big. I definitely need a smaller frame.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Thanks but I have a 17 inch non e bike bike with 24inch tyres and it’s too big. I definitely need a smaller frame.
don't worry about a smaller frame.
At your height (5ft2), you can have both balls of your feet touching the ground at the same time on the Petite.

PaulaA

Apr 7, 2019
don't worry about a smaller frame.
At your height (5ft2), you can have both balls of your feet touching the ground at the same time on the Petite.
I already have a 17 inch bike with 24 inch wheels. i can not have both feet on the ground when the seat is at its lowest setting.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
The same nominal sizes can be different depending on geometry. Woosh should say what the standover height is with saddle right down; an you should give your inside leg measurement?

Reactions: PaulaA

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The same nominal sizes can be different depending on geometry. Woosh should say what the standover height is with saddle right down; an you should give your inside leg measurement?
it's 78cm from ground to the top of the normal saddle.
I can fit low profile saddle to bring it down to 76cm, level with the rear rack.

PaulaA

Apr 7, 2019
it's 78cm from ground to the top of the normal saddle.
I can fit low profile saddle to bring it down to 76cm, level with the rear rack.
My inside leg is 67cm without shoes, on the balls of my feet I get to about 71 cm.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Of course you could get a folding e-bike and just don't bother folding it, they come really small.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
My inside leg is 67cm without shoes, on the balls of my feet I get to about 71 cm.
Is it the height from the ground to the top of the saddle on a bike that you feel comfortable with?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Paula, if you have a bike you like riding with at the moment, post a picture and the distance between the ground and the top of the saddle, that will help me to figure out what would work for you.

PaulaA

Apr 7, 2019
Unfortunately I do not have a bike that fits at present. Thanks for your help.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Unfortunately I do not have a bike that fits at present.
I gather that now. I would suggest you pop into a bike shop, find out which model or models they have that you like the look of and feel comfortable sitting on it then come back and post the information on here.
We can then work out which e-bike may do the job for you.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Sadly, it seems fairly likely that there are not any ready-made non-folder e-bikes that will suit. I think it would be quite a challenge even ignoring 'under £1000'. Paula may have to follow RossG's advice above and go for a folder, or buy a non-electric bike and convert it.

Most of us ride bikes where we can't put both feet on the ground while keeping in the saddle; and indeed a bike where you can is probably too small for efficient pedalling. I absolutely see why less experienced riders want that extra security, though. It may be worth borrowing a small bike (not necessarily electric) from somebody to get that little extra confidence needed to ride a slightly bigger one. Or to get a cheap electric folder knowing you expect to change it relatively soon. (Not TOO cheap or you may decide you never want to ride any bike ever again.)

Last edited:

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
I should have carried on to say - you can put the seat right down on a small bike but you still have to step over the frame, on some bikes like the one I pointed out the frame tube swoops down really low suitable for a small person in particular a lady rider.