Smell from Battery?

hallii

Pedelecer
May 5, 2011
I keep our bikes in the conservatory. It does not get very hot.

I notice a smell in the mornings when I open up, I can't describe it but it's a bit like chemicaly rubbery smell. I thought it was the tyres but Mrs hallii ("The Bloodhound") says no, it's from the battery(s).

There is no sign of a problem and it happens whether or not the batteries are on charge.

Things are still fairly new so it might settle down.

Just wondered if anyone has any ideas?

Geoff

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
I wouldn't worry too much about this. If the batteries are no more than comfortably warm after a ride, it is more likely to be solder flux reacting with solder-resist on circuit boards. This is often misinterpreted as "the smell of amps".

Although unlikely in your case, I recently worked on a battery with a rapidly failing key-switch, the wiper contacts burning when a high load was demanded from the battery.

As a matter of interest, I have a small collection of American citizen band radios. Although manufactured in the early eighties, they still give off a pungent odour of "amps", without even switching them on!.

All the best
Bob

hallii

Pedelecer
May 5, 2011
Ahhhh, 80s USA CB rigs, AM of course, I must admit I never smelt one though!

Now the smell from a couple of 4CX250 valves running flat out RF is unforgetable!

Geoff

vhfman

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2008
Or the GU78B / 4CX2500 with 3kv @ 2.2A on the anode gives that purple glow of RF and a whiff of ozone. Ah the good old days!

Chris

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Another hobby of mine although these aren't mine....