Sneaky or illegal? Battery shipping

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
My basic understanding is that you cant ship a battery for an ebike very easily within UK but you can ship a bike with one

Question is does the one have to power the other?

Would it be ok to buy a battery and ship it with 5 quid non electric junk bike off gumtree to circumvent the issue ?

And I mean legally, morally is a different question

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
just post it you wont have a problem unless it is lost and want insured postage.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
just post it you wont have a problem unless it is lost and want insured postage.
Yes sure but that is not the question.

The question is - is my idea legal. I know what's practical and probable (though illegal )

I am posting the question for those that want to do things legally (albeit not within the spirit of such)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
My basic understanding is that you cant ship a battery for an ebike very easily within UK but you can ship a bike with one

Question is does the one have to power the other?

Would it be ok to buy a battery and ship it with 5 quid non electric junk bike off gumtree to circumvent the issue ?

And I mean legally, morally is a different question
they are governed by different regulations.

UN 3090, Lithium metal batteries (shipped by themselves)
UN 3480, Lithium ion batteries (shipped by themselves)

UN 3091, Lithium metal batteries contained in equipment or packed with equipment
UN 3481, Lithium ion batteries contained in equipment or packed with equipment.

wiki individual UN numbers for details.

• Informative
Reactions: KirstinS

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
they are governed by different regulations.

UN 3090, Lithium metal batteries (shipped by themselves)
UN 3480, Lithium ion batteries (shipped by themselves)

UN 3091, Lithium metal batteries contained in equipment or packed with equipment
UN 3481, Lithium ion batteries contained in equipment or packed with equipment.

wiki individual UN numbers for details.
Ok I'll go look them up

But do you have a view on my question?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
But do you have a view on my question?
it is down to the T&Cs of the courier.
The post office for example won't take equipment with battery and will ask you the question: does it contain a battery? some couriers like DPD also don't take equipment with battery (unless you have a contract) but don't ask that question. UPS will take battery if you are insured for liabilities in case the battery causes damage to their warehouse. I have seen on the other hand, some people use Hermes to send their battery!
Sending a battery with a £5 e-bike may not be the solution, it costs you more in shipping charge.
What we do here is we send to the customer packing instructions and labels, get DPD to collect the battery from the customer, do whatever we have to do then send the battery back. Total cost: £25 incvat for both legs. That's the legal way and it's fully insured.
I think Jimmy @ insat does something similar.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
K is this the battery from Peter ?
If so and arrangements are made as previously then I can pick up from Peter nr Gatwick for you.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
K is this the battery from Peter ?
If so and arrangements are made as previously then I can pick up from Peter nr Gatwick for you.
Lol, no ! It was a genuine question :) I've got a local friend who can pick up the one from peter. The offer is much appreciated though. Thank you

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it is down to the T&Cs of the courier.
The post office for example won't take equipment with battery and will ask you the question: does it contain a battery? some couriers like DPD also don't take equipment with battery (unless you have a contract) but don't ask that question. UPS will take battery if you are insured for liabilities in case the battery causes damage to their warehouse. I have seen on the other hand, some people use Hermes to send their battery!
Sending a battery with a £5 e-bike may not be the solution, it costs you more in shipping charge.
What we do here is we send to the customer packing instructions and labels, get DPD to collect the battery from the customer, do whatever we have to do then send the battery back. Total cost: £25 incvat for both legs. That's the legal way and it's fully insured.
I think Jimmy @ insat does something similar.
i have posted all sorts of stuff and have never been asked at the post office what it was tho it is in a one stop shop now so i guess the staff dont give a crap in the first place.

but how many dodgy 18650s from china a year get posted here and the postage is free like if you buy a cree light with a batt or just on its own lol.

last week i sent a 100g envelope to France and it cost £8 and it never left the uk for 7 days and arrived 3 days later.

uk postage rates are just extortion :mad:

D

Deleted member 25121

The reticence to carry batteries might be a bit OTT if the goods were transported only by road but who would want to be in a plane when batteries explode in the hold?

Whenever I'm flying I always remove the batteries from everything apart from the small coin sized cells.