Help! So many questions - please help

EnRayn

Just Joined
Aug 6, 2019
  • Should I buy from a bike shop - or go somewhere less expensive?
  • Do I need 400W plus or is 300 enough?
  • Is a front hub motor adequate?
  • How much should I care about brakes?
  • Torque or Speed sensor - I have no idea what these even mean!
  • Suspension?
  • What else should I even be asking?
  • Should I be looking at a bike manufacturer that I recognise?
  • Or should I be looking at something like VOLT?

• Mid 50s - breathing difficulties mean that I am struggling to go any distance or up any slope
  • We cycle mainly on cycle paths and on quiet roads
  • If I could really manage and enjoy I might commute - 4 miles to work - but that is a next step
  • I can afford expensive but don't want to waste money on things I don't actually need

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
If you are confident on small fixes go elsewhere (eg Woosh, Whisper). Otherwise bike shop if you have one you can trust nearby.

Remember this is battery capacity, not power, so will mainly affect range. 300W should be fine if you are sticking to short rides (up to 20 miles) and can recharge easily afterwards.

Front hub should be adequate. But don't mix well with front suspension.

Torque sensor senses how hard you push and gives proportionally more. Speed sensor just sensies if you are pedalling, and gives assist if you are. (You can pedal very slowly with NO effort and the motor will do the work) Almost all front hubs have speed sensors.

Go for manufacturer with good reputation (on this forum), not necessarily well known generally

Reactions: EnRayn

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Should I buy from a bike shop - or go somewhere less expensive?
can you look after your bike? if you can, then you would be better off looking after the bike yourself and you can save some money. Not huge amount but still significant over a long period of time. Don't worry about the electrics, as long as you keep the bike clean and in a dry place, the electrics will be fine.
Is a front hub motor adequate?
Everything is a trade off. Front hub motors are usually very reliable because they are typically lower power and lighter weight compared to the average rear hub or middle motor. However, less weight is to the front, front hub motors have less traction than rear hub motors. If you ride on gravel, you would be better off with a rear hub motor or a middle motor.
How much do you weigh?

How much should I care about brakes?
Hydraulic brakes are always better in the long run. They don't have steel inner cables so they don't rust. They adjust themselves. They are more progressive, require less effort to brake etc. Pads are larger so they last longer too, typically you don't have to touch them for up to about 3,000 miles.

Torque or Speed sensor - I have no idea what these even mean!
For you, cadence sensor. Torque sensor is perfect for those who need a bit of exercise, cadence sensor for those with health impairment.
With a torque sensor, you put in say 50W in pedaling power, the sensor measures that, and tells the motor to give X times your input, 50W, 100W, 150W depending on the selected assist level.
With a cadence sensor, you only have to rotate the cranks to obtain power. The amount of power depends largely on the selected assist level, from 0 to 5.
If you can't be sure you can pedal all the time, a full throttle is very useful. You can start on hill without effort or stop pedaling.
Suspension?
Yes. for your kind of roads, ordinary forks with 63mm travel are OK.

Suggestions:
The Woosh Camino:
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?camino

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Forget a torque sensor/multiplier then as they require you to put in effort to get the best out of them. A cadence sensor means you can pedal as little or as hard as you like.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Woosh, Wisper, Kudos, Oxygen & Volt are the top forum recommends for hub bikes.