So new I’ve not started yet

Webfolk

Just Joined
Jun 26, 2020
Shrewsbury
I have an ebike on order, and I’m looking forward to chatting electric bikes with everypeople.
I’m in the over 60s club and based in Shrewsbury.

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
Welcome Webfolk. When you get the bike, you're gonna love it.

I find it quite hard to hide the smug smile on my face as I overtake "normal" bikes!

Reactions: RobN and JohnDaBike

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
You don't have to go fast even if it is electric and you can ... we still have the smug smile on our faces as the 'normal' bikes overtake us.

GSV3MiaC

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2020
I have an ebike on order, and I’m looking forward to chatting electric bikes with everypeople.
I’m in the over 60s club and based in Shrewsbury.
So what did you order and from where? I'm near Ludlow, similarly ancient, and still looking..

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
Hi Webfolk-Welcome to the site .. I go a normal bike and I over take guys when
theyre full on with their ebikes :)

im in 2 minds as yet what way to go .. be it I stay with a normal non ebike
ive had for 20 yrs approx ..or change for another lighter frame new non e bike
or go get an e bike.

what puts me off going the ebike route I reckon is the price of a renewed battery replacement as say after 2 yrs approx... as the battery roughly just for battery replacement is the price of a new non e bike in itself ..

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
Hi Webfolk-Welcome to the site .. I go a normal bike and I over take guys when
theyre full on with their ebikes :)

im in 2 minds as yet what way to go .. be it I stay with a normal non ebike
ive had for 20 yrs approx ..or change for another lighter frame new non e bike
or go get an e bike.

what puts me off going the ebike route I reckon is the price of a renewed battery replacement as say after 2 yrs approx... as the battery roughly just for battery replacement is the price of a new non e bike in itself ..
If you're regularly overtaking E Bikers (and going over 15m/h on your own steam then a (legal in UK) E bike isn't going to do much for you.
What benefit would you get apart from easier hill climbing perhaps?

And replacement batteries start at what £200 - 400 . maybe - depending on the make - and should last (given moderate use) 3-4 years not 2 years.
A decent non e-bike could easily cost twice that.

Last edited:

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
If you're regularly overtaking E Bikers (and going over 15m/h on your own steam then a (legal in UK) E bike isn't going to do much for you.
What benefit would you get apart from easier hill climbing perhaps?

And replacement batteries start at what £200 - 400 . maybe - depending on the make - and should last (given moderate use) 3-4 years not 2 years.
A decent non e-bike could easily cost twice that.
Was a joke in fun regards over taking e bikers :D

But the cost of replacing batteries every 2 yrs approx is say between £200 and £400
is over the top in my opinion ..plus the wanting to get fit and do as one can
regards cycling hilly areas with either trying to get up steeper hills or walking up steep hilly parts ..and its all one I think as the benefits of both cycling on the flat
and also on the slight hilly parts and down hilly areas as well as on the straight

this with the walking up any steep hills with a non e bike
for me outways the going the lazy way out and not being as fit with the use of going electric ..although I do understand as to the new electric method and that's all good also for many I agree and I have thought much on this .. but i think ive made up my mind and im going to stay the ( non e bike route) for one main reason being price of batteries for e bikes ..but ill purchase for a good non e bike soon

plus I think ill buy from somewhere else in Europe outwith the UK this time
in which does do the gearing also within the back hub also and with also a front suspension and a rack for a pannier bag ..or I may just get a bike without rack as already have a rack on my current bike would be best bet ..and put it onto new bike once its all up and ready to go ..All to their own ways but ive thought much about this and now know I wont go down the e bike route as main thing put of me s pricing of new batteries to replace e-bikes as well as e-bikes can be dangerous and explode
which has been known to occur .

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
e-bikes can be dangerous and explode
I'm interested in your risk assessment here @budsy. There's nothing specific about ebike batteries that makes them any more prone to fire than any other Lithium Ion battery. And yet I bet you've got a mobile in your pocket right now with the same type of battery.

In terms of risks, you're far more likely to die as a result of a zombie car driver crashing into you, than you are from your ebike battery setting your trousers on fire....

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
As mentioned by others already, most batteries last much more than 2 years of normal use. Depends on many factors, but at 500 recharge cycles of 30 miles each a battery should do 15,000 miles, and last at least 5 years if kept carefully but not used that much. Lots of arguments about the effect of partial discharge etc etc etc, but need of replacement at 2 years should be very rare for most cyclists.

I'm happy that I didn't use an e-bike before 70, but also happy that I did soon after.

• Agree
Reactions: D C

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
I'm interested in your risk assessment here @budsy. There's nothing specific about ebike batteries that makes them any more prone to fire than any other Lithium Ion battery. And yet I bet you've got a mobile in your pocket right now with the same type of battery.

In terms of risks, you're far more likely to die as a result of a zombie car driver crashing into you, than you are from your ebike battery setting your trousers on fire....
He's seen the accident reported on another thread , at which point just now he added it to his post with the other poorly argued and confused "reasons" he now doesn't want to get an Ebike.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
As mentioned by others already, most batteries last much more than 2 years of normal use. Depends on many factors, but at 500 recharge cycles of 30 miles each a battery should do 15,000 miles, and last at least 5 years if kept carefully but not used that much. Lots of arguments about the effect of partial discharge etc etc etc, but need of replacement at 2 years should be very rare for most cyclists.

I'm happy that I didn't use an e-bike before 70, but also happy that I did soon after.
Agreed, I can still get over 50 miles out of my Woosh kit with 15ah battery which I've been using regularly for three years.
Dave.
Edit to say Samsung 29E

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My Samsung's are into year six still going.