Software updates.

YORKSHIREEXILE1

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2015
Just 1 LED from my avatar.
Hi all

It's been a while since I posted on here. I haven't use the KTM (Macina cross 9) until recently, I finished my contract at Westminster and had to get back on a motorbike :cool:. As a result the KTM languished in the spare room , charged once in a while but generally untouched. I have now retired (well almost) and moved to France, where the KTM is getting used on an almost daily basis:cool::cool:.

Prior to moving here I did ask of a KTM dealer, not the one I originally purchased from, as they were no longer in the same premises (London electric bike company) about getting any and all soft/firmware updates, I'd had nothing done since I bought it in '15, frankly he didn't give a toss and couldn't be bothered to assist. So, I'm now in Bretagne in France and I'm wondering how I can get updates, apparently my nearest dealer is in Luxemburg:rolleyes:. Is it possible to connect on the interweb thingy with someone able to make amendments?

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Cheers

Ian

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
I always end up regretting software updates, whatever they're for. Only do them if it's one to fix a specific problem that you have, otherwise save some disappointment and money.
Agree leave well alone if its working.

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
Not bike specifc but the best software advice is above "If it isn't broke - don't fix it".
I've found new problems after doing updates on a variety of electronics including phones, mobiles & tablets, pc's, even TV equipment.
If yours is working ok I'd say leave well alone and enjoy your new life :cool:

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I upgraded the Bosch Nyon and knackered it, out of guaranty. Bosch said I need a replacement I had to pay for. So be careful.

Reactions: YORKSHIREEXILE1

YORKSHIREEXILE1

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2015
Hi Chaps,

Just wow! that all sounds pretty unanimous and makes me think that the dealer I spoke with wasn't just being a miserable b@88$&d. I think I'll be leaving well alone then!

There's always a but...But what about the extra go the additional Nms that I'm missing out on, did it make no difference or just not worth the bind?

Thank you all so very much for taking the time to reply. I have to say that the bike just works wonderfully, a little too well at times. Shortly after getting over here we bought a s/h pedelec for Jools, my other half, she loves it but I'm not so sure. It lacks range and keeps cutting out and she's so slow (relatively) on it that I get damn cold when we're out together. It's some weird French (probably Chinese) make, a TVT +Urban with a 250W front wheel mounted motor, a 24v 8Ah battery and some generic Chinese control system. The battery seems to be 10 years old so I suspect that it's just no longer up to the job. I'm hoping to re-cell it myself but the youtube videos make it look pretty complicated, I'll persevere though.

Cheers

Ian

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
With a ten year old 24v battery I'm not suprised she's slow and suffering cutouts.
The motor is not tethered to a specific voltage. So, rather than go through the pain, expense and long learning curve of making your own battery, here's a slightly different project.
Buy a 36v battery, controller and display, effectively a kit minus the motor. Bung Install it carefully on the bike and she'll be keeping up with you no probs. It'll mean rewiring and some mechanical fettling to fit the battery but an enjoyable project with almost zero risk of setting the house/shed on fire.

YORKSHIREEXILE1

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2015
With a ten year old 24v battery I'm not suprised she's slow and suffering cutouts.
The motor is not tethered to a specific voltage. So, rather than go through the pain, expense and long learning curve of making your own battery, here's a slightly different project.
Buy a 36v battery, controller and display, effectively a kit minus the motor. Bung Install it carefully on the bike and she'll be keeping up with you no probs. It'll mean rewiring and some mechanical fettling to fit the battery but an enjoyable project with almost zero risk of setting the house/shed on fire.
Hi Benjahmin

That sounds like sound advice, I'll be looking into that later, it's raining here today :( so plenty time.

I'd add that it's only when I'd bought it and had a good fiddle that I realised the battery was 10 years old, the guy we bought it off thought it 5 yo, which was borne out by his receipt, that said I'm aware 5 yo is 'getting on'. No idea why there's the age disparity, probably best to blame French supermarkets :rolleyes:

Just a thought on moving from 24 to 36v, will I need to change the wiring, surely just the handlebar controller and the bulbs?

Cheers

Ian

Last edited:

YORKSHIREEXILE1

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2015
I always end up regretting software updates, whatever they're for. Only do them if it's one to fix a specific problem that you have, otherwise save some disappointment and money.
Hi VFR400

Thanks for the advise, are we likely to know one another from other sites, VFR forum - Bikers Oracle or Grebike400, there I'd be known as Ian Daly?

Cheers

Ian

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
That sounds like sound advice, I'll be looking into that later
Hi Ian, I did something similar with a failing 24v Dutch Town Bike (link in my signature) but ended up fitting a whole new 36v kit I was given (including a new but weak motor), the big difference is the battery range & strength. I'm planning to refit the now repaired 24v wheel at some point so I can compare it with the weak 36v motor.

I'd recommend a new 36v battery / controller / display if you can, no need for a new wheel - apparently keeping the 24v wheel and using 36v gives more speed etc.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
The handlebar display is just that, a display only. It allows you to tell the controller what you want. The controller, which will be elsewhere, is the thing that handles the heavy current and actually controls the pulses to the motor. Controllers and displays work as linked and matched pairs - so they must be of the same make to talk to each other, best bought at the same time. They come with their own wiring looms. This would give connections from controller to display, connections from battery to controller and supply cables to the motor. So it's easier to replace the lot rather than trying to adapt what's there already.
If you look at the cable, coming out of the motor , there is likely a connector nearby (so it can be unplugged for puncture repair/maintenance). Take a picture of this connector and, if possible, the number of pins in it. This will dictate the type of controller you need and we will be able to give recommendations and links, and installation guidance and help.
Also pictures of the whole bike then there may be clues to the controller location.

YORKSHIREEXILE1

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2015
The handlebar display is just that, a display only. It allows you to tell the controller what you want. The controller, which will be elsewhere, is the thing that handles the heavy current and actually controls the pulses to the motor. Controllers and displays work as linked and matched pairs - so they must be of the same make to talk to each other, best bought at the same time. They come with their own wiring looms. This would give connections from controller to display, connections from battery to controller and supply cables to the motor. So it's easier to replace the lot rather than trying to adapt what's there already.
If you look at the cable, coming out of the motor , there is likely a connector nearby (so it can be unplugged for puncture repair/maintenance). Take a picture of this connector and, if possible, the number of pins in it. This will dictate the type of controller you need and we will be able to give recommendations and links, and installation guidance and help.
Also pictures of the whole bike then there may be clues to the controller location.
Hi Benjahmin

Top explanation, I'm impressed at how quickly you assessed my level of 'expertise' :D , cheers. I'm sure the controller is in the ali box attached to the battery on the rack, photos to follow shortly.

Cheers

Ian

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Looks like the controller is in the black bit on the front of the battery. It'll be pretty tight in there but doable.
But first, you have the option of buying a new battery c/w rack, or getting the present one re-celled to your spec. Can recommend a UK re-celling service but not a French one.
As far as I can see the motor plug is a three pin one, meaning that the motor runs sensorless. So that has to be borne in mind when ordering a controller, you may also need an external speed sensor. Are there any markings/lettering on the motor?
Hopefully Nealh or VFR will be along shortly, 'cos they'll be able to give you more accurate product info than I can.

If nothing happens from here it may be best to start another thread under a different title.

YORKSHIREEXILE1

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2015
Looks like the controller is in the black bit on the front of the battery. It'll be pretty tight in there but doable.
But first, you have the option of buying a new battery c/w rack, or getting the present one re-celled to your spec. Can recommend a UK re-celling service but not a French one.
As far as I can see the motor plug is a three pin one, meaning that the motor runs sensorless. So that has to be borne in mind when ordering a controller, you may also need an external speed sensor. Are there any markings/lettering on the motor?
Hopefully Nealh or VFR will be along shortly, 'cos they'll be able to give you more accurate product info than I can.

If nothing happens from here it may be best to start another thread under a different title.
Hi Benjahmin

Firstly, thank you so much for you assistance, there are markings on the motor, I'll photograph them later. I reckoned it was a pretty basic job, but if it really is 10 years old it's not too surprising and it is a budget supermarket jobbie!

I'll start an new thread, this has rather run off topic :cool:

Cheers

Ian

YORKSHIREEXILE1

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2015
What extra 'Nms' ?

Where have you seen that your particular motor actually does have a software upgrade available that increases the torque?
Couldn't tell you exactly but I received notification of one just weeks after I'd bought the bike, back in late '15, I was working lots at the time so I didn't get around to taking it back to the dealer, he was based in Hampton Wick, just off Kingston Bridge at the junction of High St and Park Rd, I believe it's now Sigma Sports. I'm pretty sure I read of another on the Bosh website but there again I may have dreamt that one :rolleyes: . So, sorry I can't give you anything concrete.

Cheers

Ian

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Couldn't tell you exactly but I received notification of one just weeks after I'd bought the bike, back in late '15,
Did you receive notification that there had been a general software update, or did you receive notification that there had been a software update specifically stating that it gave a torque increase?

ingutedat

Just Joined
Mar 2, 2022
Hi all

It's been a while since I posted on here. I haven't use the KTM (Macina cross 9) until recently, I finished my contract at Westminster and had to get back on a motorbike :cool:. As a result the KTM languished in the spare room , charged once in a while but generally untouched. I have now retired (well almost) and moved to France, where the KTM is getting used on an almost daily basis:cool::cool:.

Prior to moving here I did ask of a KTM dealer, not the one I originally purchased from, as they were no longer in the same premises (London electric bike company) about getting any and all soft/firmware updates, I'd had nothing done since I bought it in '15, frankly he didn't give a toss and couldn't be bothered to assist. So, I'm now in Bretagne in France and I'm wondering how I can get updates, apparently my nearest dealer is in Luxemburg:rolleyes:. Is it possible to connect on the interweb thingy with someone able to make amendments?

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Cheers

Ian
I would recommend you to get in touch with Hire Dedicated Developers (aciety.com) , I had kinda similar problem, that I've solved with their help.