Some security chain testing

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
I've noticed with some alarm that on various bike forums you'll get posters waxing about their expensive security chains. Ever since I saw the first video I've been rather cynical about the claims of some chain makers (always was, actually) but to see the relative ease with which some very expensive and much-lauded security chains were cut, is a bit of an eye-opener.
OK, these are motorcycle chains, but the same principle applies as to bicycle chains; indeed, many bicycle security chains are even worse, being thinner to start with.

First, look at the popular makes
YouTube - Non-Almax security chains for bikes vs Bolt Croppers

Then look at the Almax
YouTube - Almax Series III and IV chains for bikes vs Bolt Croppers

I'm not advocating that everyone should immediately rush out and buy an Almax, for even that isn't proof against a 36V cordless angle grinder, but just bear in mind that the 100quid chain that's protecting your 1500 quid bike might be crapper than you think.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I know one of the chaps in the videos, he took it on as a personal mission a few years back to expose rubbish security products, he got together with Almax as they were about the only honest chain company. It all kicked off with the round key locks that can be opened with a pen, I still see some on sale now. The picture below is NOT an endorsement.

Coincidentally he's a pedelec owner but not a poster on this forum.

There are other good chains out there but you need to be careful what you get.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I remember ETim recommending these Almax chains way back. And I intend to get one when I change motorhome (have garage in camper so bikes presently out of sight) to a smaller van conversion. the bikes will be exposed on a tow bar rack so security will become a real issue......

Mussels what are the handcuff style ones above?

with an e bike its a compromise, between the weight of chain/lock you are prepared to carry and the risk in area you park.

I use an Abus D lock, kryptonite cable with Aldi alarm padlock, another alarm fitted to frame. and a heavy chain(Pragmasis Protector) that I dont use that often. I use the 13mm one weighs approx 3.5 kg (D lock 1.5kg)

Protector and Squire Chains from Pragmasis

they say you are better of with two different styles of locks, say one chain, and a D lock ? As this delays theft. a thief needs different tools for different locks.

use the search facility, there is a lot of threads on security....

Last edited:

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
It is an almax chain i use for my BMW 1200 Adventure coupled with a squires 60 lock, reckoned to be the best combination. But there is no way you could use this on an e-bike you would damage the frame and the weight alone would rule it out. So i went on a quest and found another company which claim they are as good as Almax, they seem to have plenty of proof to back this up. But they make 11mm links for push bike, they come under the name of protector chains, cannot remember the company who make them but again they seem pretty hefty. If anything the thief would see this and move on that would be my hope, but if they really want the bike they will get it.

Last edited:

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Mussels what are the handcuff style ones above?
Master Lock Street Cuffs, great idea but it uses round keys and I can't find anything like it that uses a decent key design.

11mm links can be cropped easily, even the Almax ones. It needs to be 16mm or over to be effetive, I use an 18mm D lock as it weighs less than a chain. I use a smaller chain for cafe stops as the bike is at much less risk than being parked outside work all day.
Don't use cables, even the armoured ones are easy to break.

BertYardbrush

Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2008
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
One of my daughter's friends locked his bike up.
When he came back he found that thieves, having failed to cut through whatever was securing his bike, cut his bike frame in two and left it there.

Depressingly nasty.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
When he came back he found that thieves, having failed to cut through whatever was securing his bike, cut his bike frame in two and left it there.

Depressingly nasty.
You mean left the lock there presumably

Not the first time we have heard of this, and I always try with at least one of my locks, to lock through the crossbar and down tube near the front thingy:rolleyes:

like this

Last edited:

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Thats what worries me about e-bikes, the valuable bits are not the components or frame. I know this is not the case for all e-bikes but some it is. They could easily cut the frame in half and be off with the battery motor etc. Would only take seconds with alloy frames.

Trevor Holloway

Pedelecer
May 4, 2010
I was in a motorcycle shop once where a mechanic was sent out to collect a sportsbike that had a spoke cut out of the cast alloy front wheel, so that the theives could get past the lock.

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Pretty depressing thought really, they will get it if they want it. Best case scenario is the damage so much of the bike attempting it they might as well have taken it. About 4 years ago my Yamaha R1 was nicked it had an oxford chain on it and a disc lock but the whole lot was gone.

Trevor Holloway

Pedelecer
May 4, 2010
Yamaha R1 was nicked it had an oxford chain on it and a disc lock but the whole lot was gone.
==========
Vans with tail lifts work a treat, apparently refrigerated vans are best because the insulation deadens the sound of any alarm.
There was a spate of vans being stolen and all the contents dumped - the police were stumped until several bikes were reported stolen the next day.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough

Not the first time we have heard of this, and I always try with at least one of my locks, to lock through the crossbar and down tube near the front thingy:rolleyes:

like this
Unless I'm looking wrong your chain doesn't go through the frame, that could be knicked in under a minute without damaging bike or chain.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
You have a point:confused:

But how would they get it oft? by breaking down the front of the bike?

I use the abus D as well :eek:

LafRo

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2010
@Eddie

1. Remove the handlebar complete (mostly 1 bolt)
2. Unscrew the front fork (32 or 36 mm nut)
3. Cut the cables

Within one minute bye bye bike :eek: , sorry Eddie

Put the chain between the frametubes

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Blimey......live and learn at least I know now:confused:

usually have 2 locks/cable & lock/ and 2 alarms, and have been OK for 2.5 years.also have insurance....

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich

Depressingly nasty.
the way I read it is that the scum actually did cut the frame in two and then left the bike to spite the lad - if they had taken the two halves away with them he wouldn't have known it had been cut in half. Unfortunately this sort of thing is common amongst the younger criminals - what they can't nick they simply trash (especially when their minds are addled by drugs etc). crime is also a way of exerting power and control over others..

I also agree with the bleak predictions of others that eventually thieves will cotton on to the fact that e-bike batteries and other components are valuable...

when I lived in a particularly dodgy part of Ipswich I used to haul my (unpowered!) bike up a whole flight of steps and into my flat rather than leave it downstairs. Several of my flatmates bikes were stolen due to not doing this, I also noticed one lad down the street who had locked his get the whole machine kicked in (though its possible this was also due to a local dispute)

Even now I keep my bike inside the house and inside my office at work and still watch it like a hawk.

Thankfully brazen thefts from town during peak shopping hours are uncommon here (compared to London or Norwich) - I see bikes as pricey as my Wisper and even more desirable to thieves (who like MTBs) locked up with things which wouldn't last 5 minutes other parts of the UK. Even then I don't lock mine up in town unless its immediately outside the shop I am visiting.

If I do have to park in a less salubrious area I kept the Powacycle too as it deliberately looks less "cool" - bizzarely my younger friends see this as an "old man's bike" whilst the Wisper is cool, even though they are both e-bikes..

@eddieo - where do you get the alarms from?

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
cheers - those look promising...

round here the concept of a bike having an alarm would hopefully be enough to give any thief/vandal enough of a scare to make them give up and pick an easier target....

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
when I lived in a particularly dodgy part of Ipswich I used to haul my (unpowered!) bike up a whole flight of steps and into my flat rather than leave it downstairs. Several of my flatmates bikes were stolen due to not doing this, I also noticed one lad down the street who had locked his get the whole machine kicked in (though its possible this was also due to a local dispute)
When I lived in Edinburgh it was necessary to haul bikes up eight flights of stairs to the top floor in the tenement. Those who didn't, and chained theirs to the railings outside, or even at the bottom of the stairs, sometimes lost their bikes.
Chaining them up securely worked up to a point, but a frustrated tealeaf would spitefully bend the front wheel if they couldn't get the bike. Sometimes we'd find wheels bent just for the hell of it. There are some utterly **** people around.