Sore Thumb

Cabo

Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2012
Belfast
Has anyone else found this - Over the last six months my left hand thumb is sore, even days after pedelecing. Riding position is not entirely upright - only slightly leaning forward. Bike is 20" folder so height of straight handlebar is fixed. I have lowered the seat as far as possible to take leaning pressure off wrist.
Oddly no problem with left wrist.
Grips are comfy ero type.
Tried with and without gloves, with no difference.
Would a wider, bent-in dutch style handlebar help.
Would suspension front forks help.
Can an extension to handle bar height be got.
Or does it improve after time, as it has been very many years since i was on a push bike.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I have various hand and wrist issues (not all bike related but biking doesnt help)

After trying quite a few bars the best I have found is made by On One bikes (of sheffield) it is called ther Mary bar and is swft back without being full Dutch style

If you search google a bit you will find loads of reviews for this bar. Coupled with some nice grips and it solved a lot of issues for me

On-One Mary Handlebar

And a picture from google on a bike

Google Image Result for http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2175/1581433481_bb078324e1_o.jpg

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Swept back handlebars and an upright riding position help massively especially if the bike's fitted properly for you. Your hands are in a much more natural position so far fewer problems.

Cabo

Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2012
Belfast
I have various hand and wrist issues (not all bike related but biking doesnt help)

After trying quite a few bars the best I have found is made by On One bikes (of sheffield) it is called ther Mary bar and is swft back without being full Dutch style

If you search google a bit you will find loads of reviews for this bar. Coupled with some nice grips and it solved a lot of issues for me

On-One Mary Handlebar

And a picture from google on a bike

Google Image Result for http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2175/1581433481_bb078324e1_o.jpg
Many thanks - thats exactly the bar i was thinking about. Not that much bigger than mine - but the shape could help.
Will check cable lengths

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I find myself riding with my thumbs on top of my ergo grips a lot of the time, I find it very comfortable.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I had aching elbows and thumbs a few years back and found that sprung front forks helped with the elbows and bar ends fitted to my straight handlebars gave me a chance to change hand positions which helped a lot with the sore thumbs.
Good luck with sorting this as even slight discomfort can spoil your enjoyment.
Dave.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I found I had a sore thumb after nailing some timber together.

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Would a wider, bent-in dutch style handlebar help.
Would suspension front forks help.
Can an extension to handle bar height be got.
Or does it improve after time, as it has been very many years since i was on a push bike.
Yes, to all of those, which I've fitted and the biggest single difference was getting rid of the flat straight bars - which are fine for off-roading, but that's not what I use it for, any more.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Another possibility just occurred to me, as you say it's been happening over the last six months, could it be your thumbs are getting cold?
I find that though my fingers are fine my thumbs really feel cold if I don't wear gloves, even if it's not such a cold day they seem to catch the wind and will go numb after a few miles.
Dave.

Cabo

Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2012
Belfast
No i'm lucky in that i don't suffer cold hands. Have worn gloves, and it makes no difference.
I think Scimitar has it with the straightish bars.
Trouble is will have to change most of the cables as they will be too tight with "mary" type bars.

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Yes, to all of those, which I've fitted and the biggest single difference was getting rid of the flat straight bars - which are fine for off-roading, but that's not what I use it for, any more.
Seconded. My alien GS2 has completely straight handelbars and I start to suffer on anything over 10 miles. My MTB has slightly swept back handlebars and I can ride in comfort for over 70 miles on it. Massive difference.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
The Dutch, Belgians, Chinese etc. are not stupid like the British.
They build their bikes for comfort and mileage, not showing off.
Sensible handlebars, sit up and beg posture, wide, well sprung saddle. Narrowish smooth tyres.

Today, I was in Toys R Us and their latest 'Beach Cruiser' styled offering looks like a Harley Davidson with a huge wheel base and a rear tyre that seemed about 4 inches wide!

Cabo

Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2012
Belfast
Thanks all for your advice. Have fitted swept back Dutch type bar. Luckily had enough play on the cables and none had to be replaced. Also the new handle bar fits neat enough when it is folded. Replaced grips with good quality ones.
Have done 3 long runs and the improvment is amasing.

Cabo

Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2012
Belfast
Thanks all for your advice. Have fitted swept back Dutch type bar. Luckily had enough play on the cables and none had to be replaced. Also the new handle bar fits neat enough when it is folded. Replaced grips with good quality ones.
Have done 3 long runs and the improvment is amasing.

D

Deleted member 4366

Plus one for the Raleigh North Road. Really comfy plus they enable you to pedal harder sitting down.