Sore wrist help.

Hixyhicks

Pedelecer
May 14, 2020
My forks were secondhand and fitted my bike perfectly but with no spacers.I feel my handle bars are to low which is causing my sore wrists.Can someone recommend either a stem riser or adjustable stem for me please.Are stem risers safe?.I dont want to buy new forks if possible.

Reactions: Swizz

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
We've been using stem riser on our tandem for a year and a half with no problems.

Consider riser bars. (We've got both the stem riser and the riser bars.)

For me it is more comfortable with a slightly swept back bar; these also have the advantage that small rotations adjust the fit of the bar to the hand.

We bought https://www.amazon.co.uk/XLC-City-Comfort-Lenker-HB-C13/dp/B07D33L1KX;
a huge improvement over our previous almost straight bar. If I were buying again I'd get one with a little less sweep back, but that varies person to person.
(not available from Amazon at the moment, but I'm sure they are elsewhere)

Reactions: Hixyhicks and Swizz

Swizz

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Sk14
Can highly recommend North Road bars. The backsweep makes for a more natural position for the hands

If the bars are still too low then a stem riser as you have said or taller stem will help to take the weight off your wrists.

Reactions: Hixyhicks

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Don't get astem riser or adjustable stem. Instead, buy riser handlebars. You can get them in just about any height. They don't cost much, they look nicer, you get more fore and aft adjustment and they're safer. Loads of them on Ebay.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Stem riser adapter no, though one can replace a normal stem with a riser stem that has a set angled raise, other wise opt for the riser handlebars or a swept bar for better comfort. Typically 40 -45 degree sweep it the ultimate for comfort and natural wrist position.

Swizz

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Sk14
But how can anyone advise not using a stem riser or taller stem without knowing how high the bars are in the first place?

Fit more comfortable handlebars yes, but if they are still too low?!?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
But how can anyone advise not using a stem riser or taller stem without knowing how high the bars are in the first place?

Fit more comfortable handlebars yes, but if they are still too low?!?
You can get riser bars in any height, like 20mm 50mm 100mm, 200mm, 500mm and all the sizes in between. You can measure the height of the bars you have:

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
My forks were secondhand and fitted my bike perfectly but with no spacers.I feel my handle bars are to low which is causing my sore wrists.Can someone recommend either a stem riser or adjustable stem for me please.Are stem risers safe?.I dont want to buy new forks if possible.
I always use one to spare my 3 times operated on, back.
I would not be without one, as all bike handlebars are too low for me personally.
Just get one and make sure that it is securely installed - Job done.
Andy

Reactions: Gringo and Swizz

Swizz

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Sk14
You can get riser bars in any height, like 20mm 50mm 100mm, 200mm, 500mm and all the sizes in between. You can measure the height of the bars you have:

Thank you for the mansplain but the pic you have posted is of an MTB handlebar designed for manoverability not comfort. Their wrists will be even more uncomfortable with those.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Thank you for the mansplain but the pic you have posted is of an MTB handlebar designed for manoverability not comfort. Their wrists will be even more uncomfortable with those.
I think you need a bit of mansplaining:

It's just a diagram to show the height of the grip above the centre of the clamp. It's the same for all standard types of bars that you can get in different heights.

Swizz

Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2017
Sk14
These are the bars from Decathlon & are super comfy. If your bars are fine then just a stem riser or taller stem will be fine. The more natural a position your hands are in and if you reduce the weight on them due to not being hunched over...well...your wrists will thank you for it.
IMG_20200901_150037200.jpgIMG_20200901_145917952.jpg

Reactions: kangooroo

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Tbh the Op should have really bought used or new forks with a longer steerer so it can then have been cut down to suit rather then having to get around the issue other wise.

Reactions: Swizz

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Those sweeps Swizz look good and have a very good rise on them as well, maybe something for the Op to look at. I can't fault using sweeps and have them on all my bikes now.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Maybe they are unisex bars vfr ;) .

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
I've fitted something like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/18034933790?var=463968195034&iid=164355102907 to several of my bikes and found it the ideal way to address issues like yours. Easily fitted and perfectly safe. The only caveat is that they also effectively move the bars back slightly (how much depends on your fork rake angle) and this can affect the weight balance of your bike. I fitted one to a front hub-driven machine that ended up having a lack of uphill grip because so much of the weight was towards the rear of the bike, but that had a rather a sit-up-and-beg riding position.

Having said that, I corrected my latest wrist soreness problem by moving the saddle forward about 2cm.