Sore wrist help.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Hi, planet X do a range of bars that sweep back and add height.
They seem to be waiting on stock for some of the handlebars.

Old Fart At Play

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2020
My forks were secondhand and fitted my bike perfectly but with no spacers.I feel my handle bars are to low which is causing my sore wrists.Can someone recommend either a stem riser or adjustable stem for me please.Are stem risers safe?.I dont want to buy new forks if possible.
Hiya...

I have had a similar problem in the past. Some earlier posts have mentioned North Road or swept back bars, and I can recommend them too because of the way that your hands have a much more natural position than on straight bars. But I dont know what kind of bars you have now; they may already be swept back.

With regard to stem riser or adjustable stem, I have used both in the past in different situations. The stem riser I wasn't keen on. Some adjustable stems are rubbish, but Ritchey do fantastic adjustable stems. They are very solid, no creaking, and look great. They give you a good degree of flexibility. The Ritchey ones come in three stem lengths so you should find one that does the job you need.

If you currently have flat bars, then getting swept back bars with a decent amount of rise is probably the most elegant solution, and the cheapest. To an extent it depends on how much additional height you need.

Good luck, I know the sore wrist thing is a real drag.

• Agree
Reactions: Swizz

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
It's when you quickly tap yourself on the forehead with the palm of your hand and say "god, did I just say that !" or "did they just say that" ... you never really know who's kidding who, I tend not to do it.

gsm.terra

Pedelecer
Aug 3, 2020
Edinburgh
Riser bars make all the difference, my old giant had a set of bars from a Ducati motorcycle, really made a difference on my back.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Those bars are ace! Very Johnny pay phone!
Back in the day I had one for zipping about London. It was so light, less than 10kg (even though it had steel wheels and many steel parts) you could get incredible acceleration and because of the smaller frontal area, it wasn't difficult to get it up to 30 mph. You could really annoy the lycra set with it as you could draft them so close with your tiny front wheel and they couldn't shake you.

Then the control and precision you got from those weird looking handlebars was unbelievable considering the front wheel was only 14 inches.

Sadly the main front stem was light aluminium alloy and one day the whole lot fatigued and came off in my hands. Luckily I wasn't going fast on that day!

I replaced it with a 20 inch modern folder, but it was never as light or stable to ride.

Reactions: gsm.terra

gsm.terra

Pedelecer
Aug 3, 2020
Edinburgh
Back in the day I had one for zipping about London. It was so light, less than 10kg (even though it had steel wheels and many steel parts) you could get incredible acceleration and because of the smaller frontal area, it wasn't difficult to get it up to 30 mph. You could really annoy the lycra set with it as you could draft them so close with your tiny front wheel and they couldn't shake you.

Then the control and precision you got from those weird looking handlebars was unbelievable considering the front wheel was only 14 inches.

Sadly the main front stem was light aluminium alloy and one day the whole lot fatigued and came off in my hands. Luckily I wasn't going fast on that day!

I replaced it with a 20 inch modern folder, but it was never as light or stable to ride.
Sounds fun! Shame it didn’t end well... My late (great) pal and was a motorcycle mechanic and made custom parts from aluminium, he would have rattled you off a new one in a matter of hours!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
With std straight bars or those with only nine degree sweep my thumbs and esp the thumb/hand joint used to ache on my longer rides (up to 100 odd miles), about three or four years ago I swapped over to 45 degree sweeps and it solved my problem.
Still not truly happy with thumb shifters I also swapped them out also and the hdb brakes to all in one Shimano Hone combo brake/shifters, shifters still cable operated but simply requires an up or down touch with the tops or the underside of the fingers, brakes remain as hydraulic.

Reactions: gsm.terra