Sorry folks - another newbie looking for some guidance !

pichipedals

Pedelecer
Jan 7, 2016
Could someone recommend a good security locK, or at least a style and brand of suitable quality.

I need something to secure against a typical town centre cycle hoop in daylight hours in a lightly populated street. The bike doesn't have quick release wheels but its not exactly difficult for a thief to carry a 15mm spanner and remove them.

Are D locks the most secure ?

I don't want anything that takes an age to put in place / remove and i don;t want anything thats going to scratch my nice new paintwork either lol!

thanks

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Egerton, BL7 North Bolton, Lancashire
I find one of the bendy, plastic coated tensile steel locks the easiest to carry, the most flexible and the kindest to paintwork, but then I never park up anywhere dodgy so I am only looking for something that would stop the opportunist.

Reactions: pichipedals

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The Oxford lock is good being a bendy type it has an inner steel core with an outer core covering like individual roller bearings with a plastic sleeve over the top, though in time this cracks. D locks look good and strong but their week point are the lugs that hold them in, I'm reliably told by my nephew who who works for DMR bikes that most bike thieves love em as a tug and a lever in the right place and they are off in seconds.

Lardo

Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2014
Nothing Oxford branded is worth buying. Almax chains and a squire lock are well worth the money.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Frame lock and 140 cm plug in chain. The chain fits in a large sized tool bottle for carrying on the bike when no panier is available.

pichipedals

Pedelecer
Jan 7, 2016
Nothing Oxford branded is worth buying. Almax chains and a squire lock are well worth the money.
The Oxford lock is good being a bendy type it has an inner steel core with an outer core covering like individual roller bearings with a plastic sleeve over the top, though in time this cracks. D locks look good and strong but their week point are the lugs that hold them in, I'm reliably told by my nephew who who works for DMR bikes that most bike thieves love em as a tug and a lever in the right place and they are off in seconds.
Some of the Oxford items are sold secure rated (Bronze up to Gold) - I have to admit that I'm not too convinced by a brand that i regularly see in TKMaxx stores though.

Almax chains aren't foolproof either sadly - i suppose if someone wants it bad enough then they'll come with the right tools. Case of risk limitation versus weight and practicality.

erring towards a D lock with the option to use a wire loop if necessary.

pichipedals

Pedelecer
Jan 7, 2016
Well managed to get to my local TKMaxx at lunchtime - the usual suspects in terms of bike lights and locks, prices no better than anywhere else and nothing there that inspired any sense of security (in fairness though they only have locks up to £10 in price ; Am-Tech, Rolson and the odd Oxford).

Decided to go with a Kryptonite D lock and additional wire loop so i can wire the motored front wheel as well.

thanks for the suggestions.

5threeone

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Pichipedals That is a brilliant write up. So useful to other E Bike researchers. Thanks for taking the time.

pichipedals

Pedelecer
Jan 7, 2016
Pichipedals That is a brilliant write up. So useful to other E Bike researchers. Thanks for taking the time.
Thanks - I hope its of use to someone, in the same way as I found Lancslass' thread(s) useful for myself .

I'm no expert, but then perhaps my non techie reviews might help the next e-bike virgin !

I managed a short trip out today in between rain showers - familiarisation ride :D

The nearby cycle path (starts other side of my village) presents a nice steady gradient of 1:12 along what was a railway line in years gone by - sufficiently wide for walkers, cyclist and dog walkers its tree / hedge lined edges give a useful barrier from the neighbouring busy B road. Did 5 miles up the path, giving ample opportunity to try out the assistance modes and the gears - top level assistance had me tootling along at a very pleasant 12 mph in a high gear with next to no effort - exactly why you buy an eBike lol!

Return journey was a very comfortable coast, amply aided by gravity :D

Very, very impressed with the Groove; my day got even better with the arrival of my new funky panniers :D :D

Hopefully the security lock arrives tomorrow which will give me even more opportunity to use the bike.

Reactions: Lancslass

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Most breaching of D locks is done by levering from inside the D.

When you deploy it, try to make sure the D is well filled by the bike and anchor point.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
most ppl that rob bikes round here use angle grinders so go through a d lock like butter in seconds.

pichipedals

Pedelecer
Jan 7, 2016
Thanks for the advice peeps.

I thankfully will be locking the bike up in a reasonable public place, if not outside a shop door, so in full visibility and only in daylight hours. fingers crossed thats as much a deterrent as the lock itself !

pichipedals

Pedelecer
Jan 7, 2016
So a week in I can report i do like my Kalkhoff - its a very refined ride bar the squeeky seat (no doubt my other half can sort that for me !), I'm impressed by the design, control layout and the level of assistance available.

30 years away from a bike means i'm rather wobbly and nervous in traffic , but that'll come with practice. Two small tumbles last week, one possibly down to too much (ie full!) assistance negotiating a roundabout and the other due to an insecure pannier (schoolgirl error lol!). My other half is encouraging me for short rides out at quieter times to practice and to re-learn some 'road sense'.