Sourcing a replacement rear wheel

NOTTNICK

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2021
I have a Bafang clone rear wheel. The axle has snapped so I am guessing that it is not repairable (please advise if I am wrong).
I am not sure where to source a replacement wheel. Everything online seems to be a conversion kit.
It is a 29" MTB wheel with a freewheel (not cassette) and disc brake. Although if necessary I'll get a cassette.
Any ideas what to do?
I just spent £500 re-celling the battery so I want to make sure it goes again!
Thanks
Nick

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Reactions: NOTTNICK

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If you want a 36v freewheel geared hub motor only I have a mxus (I think) new unused one boxed in the garage, £100 +p&p, it will need lacing and truing in to you rim.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Just to be clear, you suggest getting a replacement hub motor and get someone to build a wheel for me using my current rim.
Yep.

NOTTNICK

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2021
That looks interesting. I'll locate a wheel lacer and let you know very soon. The motor looks similar to mine. I'll sort things tomorrow. Cheers

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I will find it and post a pic over the weekend, the motor wire is std 9 pin julet.

I seem to remember it might not be a mxus clone but a Xofo xfv clone.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Looks like shengyi brand.

NOTTNICK

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2021
Looks like shengyi brand.
That's helpful, but I don't know where to go from here.
I have looked online and can't see any 29" wheels with motors that aren't from China (long wait for delivery), that would be easiest of course.

I am also finding it hard to locate a wheel builder. I may have found one, but he would need me to supply spokes (not a problem if the replacemment motor is the same of course as I can measure what I have already).
However, I also can't find any motors! They too all seem to be in China! So I have drawn a dead end here too.
Do you think your motor woud do the job?
If not, are you able to point me in a useful direction?
I appreciate your help here.
Cheers
Nick

NOTTNICK

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2021
More:
I have just found a local wheel-builder who is happy to do this for me. So it looks like all I need is a motor.
It's looking more hopeful.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I will dig out the motor and post pics, it is freewheel and compatible with the motor connection.
You or the wheel builder will need the rim ERM and the hub diameter to determine the spoke lengths, if for instance the hub is exactly the same diameter then one could reuse the old spokes.

Last edited:

NOTTNICK

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2021
THis sounds like it really is a goer!
I look forward to seing the pictures, but am pretty confdent it will work out.
The wheel builder is very helpful too, has built quite a few motorised wheels.
If it's all good we'll need to sort out how we do the transaction etc.
Would it be more secure if you emailed me?
Rather than post email addresses online - I have a contact link on my website. Do you want to use that?
Cheers
Nick

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The spoke holes are 128/129mm, the overall flange dia is 136mm. Dropout width 135mm. The motor has never been mounted or used so is as, when I received it.
All nuts, washes and anti rotation washers are present as are the nut covers.

Xofo xfv.
DSCF1346.JPG

Cable entry to axle.
DSCF1348.JPG

9pin julet.
DSCF1349.JPG

A few paint scratch marks on the flange, sadly these were there when I received it from the supplier.
DSCF1353.JPG

Freewheel thread.
DSCF1352.JPG

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I will PM you via the envelope top right of the page.
Email contact can be posted there, then we can transact via email.

NOTTNICK

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2021
It looks close enough.
My dropout width is more (147mm), but I have a lot of spacer washers (see photo), so I am guessing that they probably are the same. Hard to measure exactly with spokes in place, but I get 127mm spoke hole and 140mm flange, so it may be I need a new set of spokes although 1mm may be well within tollerances.
If you want to contact me via the link on my web page, I shall reply and we can sort out payment / postage etc.
Cheers
Nick