Sourcing batteries

droo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 24, 2008
Guys,

I am looking at various kit options and self build ideas at the moment but seem to be stumped for battery suppliers etc.

Anyone got any advice or suppliers to suggest ?

Droo

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
Guys,

I am looking at various kit options and self build ideas at the moment but seem to be stumped for battery suppliers etc.

Anyone got any advice or suppliers to suggest ?

Droo
There was a nice looking one on ebay.com which was 20 AH 24Volt or 48Volts 10 AH. I think it was $500. I'll try and find a link.

Most of them seem to come from china though, I wouldn't be surprised if you could get something like a 10 AH Phylion Li-Ion for less than £100 direct from china, but its hard to find manufacturers who supply single units. Its something I've been planning to look into when my battery starts to go kaput.

Jeremy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2007
Salisbury
Some of the eBay sellers are great, Ping and Yesa are well proven. Some are scoundrels, so tread warily.

Personally I'd just email Li Ping for a price; he'll send you a PayPal invoice and the battery will arrive a week or two later. I bought a 36V 10Ah pack from Li Ping a while ago and it's very good indeed. It came complete with charger and BMS, all I needed to do was make a hard case to put it in.

Another option is to buy cells directly from one of the reasonably well-regarded Chinese companies. Headway will sell direct in small quantities, as will Thundersky and one or two others. The snag with this is that the cost of things like international bank transfers (and the associated risk) makes this a bit pricier than buying via eBay or using PayPal.

Nick (Tiberius) and I have both bought Headway 38120 cells; I have 64 of them for a 48V, 40Ah pack, Nick has a few less. They aren't that easy to assemble into packs though, I had to build a capacitor discharge resistance welding machine to assemble my pack.

Jeremy

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
It all depends what you are trying to do. If you already have a commercial assembly with a mount for a battery pack, then you want the standard battery to fit it.

As Jeremy says, building cells up into a pack can be a pain. You know how you find there is always one part of a project that takes the time - well, building the battery pack and case has turned out to be that part on my current project. It has fought back every inch of the way. Other bits have just fallen into place.

Nick

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
PS, to droo, the original poster of the question...

What spec battery are you after?
I found one of the key spec points was the max discharge current. That, compared with the battery capacity (Ahr) gives you the C rating, and that in turn restricts your choice.

Nick

droo

Jun 24, 2008
I was thinking of getting a Phoenix Racer 4840 or 3640. My commute to work is approx 6 miles each way and relativly flat with a mile or so steady climb on the way there.

So Ideally I need a range of about 20miles to make sure im ok !

If I have done my sums right than I recon I might squeeze it on 48v 10AH but would liek a little bit more for compfort !

Droo.

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
I was thinking of getting a Phoenix Racer 4840 or 3640. My commute to work is approx 6 miles each way and relativly flat with a mile or so steady climb on the way there.

If I have done my sums right than I recon I might squeeze it on 48v 10AH but would liek a little bit more for compfort !

Droo.
So that's 480 Watt-hours for 12 miles, or 40 Whr/mile. I take it you are thinking of doing a 20 mph wheelie all the way ;) . Seriously though, ask around; I think most people's figures for Whr/mile are less than a third of that.

Nick

Last edited:

droo

Jun 24, 2008
Call me thick but are you saying that the battery I have picked should more that suffice ?

Droo

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
Droo,

It depends on the particular bike, and how you will ride it, and I don't know those details.

But I use 15 or 16 Whr per mile for a round trip that includes a long hill. I'm probably on the high side as I'm using the motor power all the time. I suspect the norm on here may be more like 10 to 12 Whr per mile - perhaps others can contribute.

Wouldn't like to see you buy more expensive battery than you need.

Nick

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
I'd check with other Crystalyte users. These motors are extremely fast and powerful but use a lot of current and are not that efficient.

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27

Droo.
Why do you need a 48v battery?
I live in hilly North Cornwall and I have a Cougar Mountain Electric Bike fitted with a LiFePO4 battery.
I get a range of about 20 miles - it's only a LiFePo4 36v 10ah.
I would say a 36v 10ah would do what you want and will be cheaper too.

If you’re interested, this is a link to a thread I ran about upgrading my SLA batteries to a LiFePO4 battery.

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/1741-dilemma-replacing-my-sla-batteries.html?highlight=LiFePO4

Link to my picture site about where I go with the bike.

Flickr: skmiles' Photostream