Spare battery advice

lordvincent

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2015
I have 2 batteries; they are both the same capacity (Kalkhoff 17Ah).

I have only properly used the spare once, when on a cycling holiday in France where daily charging was not possible.

Would it be better to use them alternately or put one in cool storage and use it occasionally and when the other one is showing signs of wear? I ride about 30 miles per week at the moment.

Also, with respect to the above and generally, is it best to charge after every use (typically 10 miles) or wait until the charge drops further?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited:

One_Box

Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2014
Leominster
The advice from 50Cycles is to charge after every ride.

Your usage is very light, I would change them over every week. Batteries like to be used rather than stored. The Kalkoff battery is supposed to be good for 1100 recharges, that is 1100 complete cycles not partial. Providing you have good examples they should last for years.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Alternate and use them both to keep in tip top condition and charge them as you see fit, personally once a week should be ok. Its long term of disuse that does them harm esp if left fully charged.

Reactions: lordvincent

lordvincent

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2015
Thanks for the answers, so I'll alternate, only thing is one of them is colour-matched to the bike and one isn't, oh well.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Thanks for the answers, so I'll alternate, only thing is one of them is colour-matched to the bike and one isn't, oh well.
I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, get a tin of spray.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
or a cover ;)

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
I have 6 batteries for my bike and they are numbered 1 to 6 and are cycled in numerical order.
Some days I use all 6 batteries but in the winter I often only use 2.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I am already at the stage of needing a second battery. My initial plan of needing 60km range kind of flew out the window as I got the pedelec disease and always having " just a few more km then home" fever...

Plan A: buy a new bottle battery case with controller to put current cells in and a second cheap 8-10 Ah "range extender" bottle battery of the same case type.

Plan B: sell my battery, controller, LCD and buy a larger 36V14.5Ah internal controller battery which comes with all the above bits and bobs.

Both plans work out about the same € wise. Plan B is better performance wise giving 648 W instead of the current 540 but at the same time will use up more battery unless I can limit myself to using assitance level 4 tops...

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
If you do 'A' then you'll lose support from Ciclotek? You don't have to replace the controller, you could just get the higher capacity one without the posh integrated controller, making it more affordable. I don't have experience of selling batteries but it's worth finding out if Ciclotek will transfer the warranty (as that helps with the sale). Might be worth seeing how much money you get for your existing battery first (although you'll then be without one for a while).

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
If I buy a battery it will be coming from China.

I won't sell before receiving another battery, remember this is my "car", not my "toy"...

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Good to know.

I'm getting the feeling that what I've bought has more in common with a horse than a gadget. I have to take it out especially for rides just so that it doesn't lose its strength.
At least you don’t have to talk to it to encourage it and keep it calm.

Reactions: jonathan75