Wisper Spare battery when buying a bike or wait?

Fozziebear40

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 20, 2021
Hi, I'm on the waiting list for a Wisper Wayfarer. I've chosen the smaller of the 2 batteries as it is a 60th birthday present from my wife and kept the cost down, I'll buy a spare battery myself. Is it better to buy a spare battery now and store it? (I'm guessing unused batteries don't store well?) Would batteries be stocked for a few years even when the models change? Thanks.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if your not going to use it then no point just letting it sit while the warranty runs out these things dont like not being used.

Fozziebear40

Jun 20, 2021
Thanks, yes, that's what I thought. I would presume batteries would still be available for a particular model 2 or 3 years down the line.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks, yes, that's what I thought. I would presume batteries would still be available for a particular model 2 or 3 years down the line.
best to wait, yes they will be available for many years.

All the best, David

Reactions: Fozziebear40

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I have two batteries, I just alternate them, so both get used.

If one of the batteries fails, and that does seem to happen, I dont need to worry short term about fixing a battery to keep my bike going.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I have two batteries, I just alternate them, so both get used.

If one of the batteries fails, and that does seem to happen, I dont need to worry short term about fixing a battery to keep my bike going.
That is the right way to do it and will promote the longest battery life (of them both together) as well.
And only charge when at the controllers at the point of cutting off power to the motor, or just before - assuming some SOC indication is available. Remember, batteries have a set number of "good" charges, before decline sets in, but the number is only (possibly!) really known (if you kept count), the day the decline sets in!!
I take the 2nd battery with me when I can guess that the first one may run out of power before I am back home, or for long journeys, then I simply charge both beforehand and take them both, even if one is not fully discharged.
But this is really only practical, if the OP has a bike that allows Batteries to be easily and quickly swapped - some bikes simply don't make that easy......and then I wonder just how often the batteries will get swapped, and as someone else already correctly pointed out, that is simply not good for a battery to be not in regular usage. They are way too expensive to leave lying around.....
I hope this helps the OP.
regards
Andy

Reactions: Fozziebear40

Fozziebear40

Jun 20, 2021
That is the right way to do it and will promote the longest battery life (of them both together) as well.
And only charge when at the controllers at the point of cutting off power to the motor, or just before - assuming some SOC indication is available. Remember, batteries have a set number of "good" charges, before decline sets in, but the number is only (possibly!) really known (if you kept count), the day the decline sets in!!
I take the 2nd battery with me when I can guess that the first one may run out of power before I am back home, or for long journeys, then I simply charge both beforehand and take them both, even if one is not fully discharged.
But this is really only practical, if the OP has a bike that allows Batteries to be easily and quickly swapped - some bikes simply don't make that easy......and then I wonder just how often the batteries will get swapped, and as someone else already correctly pointed out, that is simply not good for a battery to be not in regular usage. They are way too expensive to leave lying around.....
I hope this helps the OP.
regards
Andy
Hi Andy
Thanks for that. Yes I imagined alternating like that, but for now I think I'll wait to get a second battery and see how my usage goes. Cheers.

Reactions: Andy-Mat