Spare parts...

Yak

Pedelecer
Mar 20, 2020
Good afternoon all. I am abso-flippin-lutely loving my Yose rear hub kit after just under a year’s use. I’ve done 8,500kms, trying to get myself fit again after cancer, and most of those kms were done with a silly grin on my face. I’m addicted. There have been some minor niggles which I’ve sorted through this page, but now I’m beginning to think - what can I do to prepare myself for when things start to go wrong? Ideally, I’d not want a day when I can’t ride, so am thinking about buying spares in advance, particularly if they are likely coming from China....so, can you advise me what will most likely go wrong? I’d love to have a stack of parts ready...from reading through old posts, our gurus mention bearings and gears in the motor. Is there a way I can identify these without taking it apart while it’s working so nicely? Are there such things as generic gears and bearings that would likely fit my 350w rear Lishui controlled kit? Should I think about a new controller? My existing one is integrated into the battery holder (the battery seems better now than when new!). Then there are the dreaded hall sensors...sorry there are so many questions.

Reactions: quackstar84

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I am sure a highly qualified techi will be along shortly, but I bought two spar motor wheels for my 2011 Oxygen Emate City for £120 after my first motor failed and was replaced under warranty at the end of my two year warranty.

They sat gathering dust on a garage shelf from 2013 until 2020 when that second motor finally failed.

I lifted down the box, pulled out a motor wheel, swapped over the tyre, brake rotor, and cassette, fitted it, plugged it in, and off I pedaled, a happy boy.

John at Oxygen who I bought them off, said that buying two was overkill!

My old Oxygen will be 10 years old in June and going strong. I rode to and from the Station today, when I went to work and home again by train.

Reactions: Yak and quackstar84

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Buying parts for the ever hopeful chance that you may have the right part should anything go wrong isn't really worth the bother.
Controller if you can buy an exact replacement may sit on the shelf for ever but for piece of mind a straight swap over.
The only other parts that might need replacing are hub internal bearings but these can only be identified by having the old one/s out and looking at the code on the bearing face.
Nylon gears only really wear thru lack of greasing and to much current/hot rodding.
Water ingress can cause issues but usually only if the hub is installed upside down.

My oldest hub is my Bafang CST over 8k miles/13k km and apart from a slap of new grease and new bearings as I had it open any way runs perfectly as do my others.
The bearing most likely to wear is the LH end shaft bearing press fitted in to the casing. I have had one run rough at c.2k miles and others have gone more then c.4k miles, there is no hard fast rule for how long they will last.
Rough rotation one will hear when riding and repair once the part is at hand takes about half an hour to do.

Yak

Pedelecer
Mar 20, 2020
That’s pretty reassuring Nealh thank you. I will get a spare controller I think then as I already worry about the built-in type overheating (though last summer there were no issues) or being discontinued. Sounds overall like my kit is doing ok (but PAS 2 90%, PAS 3 10%, higher never prob helps!)

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
I am sure a highly qualified techi will be along shortly, but I bought two spar motor wheels for my 2011 Oxygen Emate City for £120 after my first motor failed and was replaced under warranty at the end of my two year warranty.

They sat gathering dust on a garage shelf from 2013 until 2020 when that second motor finally failed.

I lifted down the box, pulled out a motor wheel, swapped over the tyre, brake rotor, and cassette, fitted it, plugged it in, and off I pedaled, a happy boy.

John at Oxygen who I bought them off, said that buying two was overkill!

My old Oxygen will be 10 years old in June and going strong. I rode to and from the Station today, when I went to work and home again by train.
The 3 nylon toothed gears inside my Bafang 350W cassette motor went after 3 years and 3 months and a lot less miles than you have done...so quickly! The nylon split across one of the teeth and this cog went on to wreck the other 2 as well. I was able to get 3 new ones and once assembled in a cleaned out motor, regreased it with a non oil based grease as I think the black Chinese gunk inside was bog standard grease which hardens the nylon plastic. I used Mobilith red grease which remained clean and red over the last 3 years with no sign of wear this time.

Attachments