Spare spokes

SanSan

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2019
Hello everyone,

Does anyone know which spokes / nipples I need for a 700C / 27.5" ebike. I have had 3 snap up till now and I decided to buy some.

They need to be stainless steel not painted and heavy gauge and the wheel is " double walled".

...I type in spokes on the internet and get confused with all the choice :-(

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I think you probably need to be a lot more specific

Motor hub sizes vary so spoke length varies accordingly . Best to measure but I'm not good at this stuff. Others or google can advise better on how/where to measure

What bike you got? Have you asked the dealer? Or a Chinese internet job ?

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
Best to measure one from the hub hole to the rim or take the wheel in to your LBS. there are several sizes that may fit and they are about 50p each.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I had no idea it was so complicated :-O ...just got charged 17€ to replace 1 spoke... when I asked to buy some they refused!

in the mean time I found this calculator site
https://www.bergfreunde.eu/spoke-length-calculator/
That is expensive. I got charged 20 gbp for 2 spokes and a wheel true

But the labour isn't too different. But if they keep breaking I'd worry the wheel is not true. And the bike shop may be a bit rubbish and replaced a spoke without a wheel true

Wheel building is a bit of an art. Many members will say do it yourself but many also seem to replace way more spokes than I ever do. And I do a lot of miles including offroad

But finding a bike shop that can really build proper wheels is hard. It took me 4 years to work out that in my home town (Brighton, uk) nearly all the independent bike shops send their wheel builds to a other shop where the gurus are. And add 20%

The bad shops just do a bad job themselves

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I had no idea it was so complicated :-O ...just got charged 17€ to replace 1 spoke... when I asked to buy some they refused!

in the mean time I found this calculator site
https://www.bergfreunde.eu/spoke-length-calculator/
May I suggest that you invest in a Vernier or micrometer gauge, they are not expensive, and you can measure accurately the width of the originals, and then you can order the right ones far easier...
regards
Andy

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
A labeled spoke key will also tell you the guage, the smallest one that fits the spoke nipple. Easiest way to measure length is to take one out, twang it beforehand and tune it to the same note when you put it back. If you don't have a musical ear then just do it by feel. I've done plenty of home repairs on wheels with success the hard part is learning I guess but it saves you money

Reactions: Andy-Mat

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: SanSan

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hello everyone,

Does anyone know which spokes / nipples I need for a 700C / 27.5" ebike. I have had 3 snap up till now and I decided to buy some.

They need to be stainless steel not painted and heavy gauge and the wheel is " double walled".

...I type in spokes on the internet and get confused with all the choice :-(
You have to remove a good spoke to measure it's length to get it right.
Then buy from Ryan builds wheels on his ebay store, but no use going down that route if you have no wheel building skills as you can mess up the wheel by not tensioning them correctly or lacing the spoke correctly.

A Vernier will tell you if you have 2mm/14g spokes or 2.3mm/13g spokes.

SanSan

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2019
May I suggest that you invest in a Vernier or micrometer gauge, they are not expensive, and you can measure accurately the width of the originals, and then you can order the right ones far easier...
regards
Andy
Thanks Andy, I have a vernier which measures in metric, can this be converted into guage widths somehow?

SanSan

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2019
You have to remove a good spoke to measure it's length to get it right.
Then buy from Ryan builds wheels on his ebay store, but no use going down that route if you have no wheel building skills as you can mess up the wheel by not tensioning them correctly or lacing the spoke correctly.

A Vernier will tell you if you have 2mm/14g spokes or 2.3mm/13g spokes.
Thanks that's useful :)

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Thanks Andy, I have a vernier which measures in metric, can this be converted into guage widths somehow?
I had to look up your question myself, mostly because I knew a great guy who did any "spoke work" that I needed over the last 30 years or so, but cancer has taken him away, sadly....and since then, no spoke failures, which may force me to have a go myself one day!!
I found these two links, which I believe is what you were looking for, hopefully!
Regards
Andy

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Bikes just got so much more complicated from when I was a lad :)
Spokes didn't really change. There's nothing complicated about it. You take your broken spoke out, measure it and buy one the same from one of the many ebay sellers or from your favourite spoke supplier. There are two thicknesses used for most electric bikes 2.0mm (14 gauge) and 2.3mm (13 guage), though most Chinese electric bikes use 13 gauge.

If ever you have the wheel rebuilt, you should always use 14g spokes instead of the previous 13g ones because they give fewer problems and are more than strong enough. This is counter-intuitive, but with spokes, strongest often isn't the best.

SanSan

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2019
Spokes didn't really change. There's nothing complicated about it. You take your broken spoke out, measure it and buy one the same from one of the many ebay sellers or from your favourite spoke supplier. There are two thicknesses used for most electric bikes 2.0mm (14 gauge) and 2.3mm (13 guage), though most Chinese electric bikes use 13 gauge.

If ever you have the wheel rebuilt, you should always use 14g spokes instead of the previous 13g ones because they give fewer problems and are more than strong enough. This is counter-intuitive, but with spokes, strongest often isn't the best.
Thanks vfr400, folk seem to over-complicate the simplest of things. Just take one out and measure it is my kind of solution up here in the mountains where ebay and bike shops dont exist. Next time we visit the UK I'll get a whole bunch from fleabay :-D