Spare tyre or repair

Jayfdee

Pedelecer
Nov 14, 2018
OK this is not specific to an electric bike but maybe this forum can help me.
I ride my ebike in some very remote locations over high off road moorland, almost no-one goes up there.. Twice now I have blown a 2-3 inch rip in a tyre sidewall, once I had an 8 mile walk out and call my other half for rescue, the other time I removed one of my socks and patched the rip internally enough to get home. Yes the tube was wrecked as well, but I carry spares.
Should I carry a spare tyre? Are there any other lightweight solutions?, Is there a lightweight emergency tyre?
Any advice much appreciated

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
dh tyres would be a lot better but there not light.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As a solution you could carry a folding tyre with you.

Bobario

Just Joined
Jul 5, 2018
I usually carry a tyre boot made out of an old toothpaste tube but I doubt it would seal a 3 inch gash. For that you would probably need to sow it shut and glue something on the inside so it doesn't open up again. I have heard of people carrying strong needles and thread for just such a purpose.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Years ago (pre disc brakes on pushbikes)I had a similar problem, fortunately I had a roll of insulating tape, I just wrapped the tape around the wheel and tyre through the spokes, I just needed to remember not to apply the back brake ;)

• Agree
Reactions: D C