Speed reduced on volt metro! is it normal?

tapash

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
Although I had 16AH battery to begin with, I realised it was a overkill. So I swapped the battery with 10AH one after a week.

Previously on peak of the battery I used to get 18.5mph for first 12miles or so on 16AH battery. Now on 10AH battery on full charge i get in average 17.5 mph for first 5-6 miles. Is this normal?

I noticed the charger that came with 16AH was a either 42v/48V one. But for 10AH one is 36V. Would this make any difference?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

The size of the battery does affect speed. Power is proportional to voltage. The voltage goes down from 42v to 31v (full to empty) when you use it. A 16ah battery would still be about 38v after 12 miles, while as a 10ah one would be about 36v. Secondly, a smaller battery sags more under load than a big one - something like 2v for the big one and 3v for the small one. That means the total voltage difference is between 33v and 36v, which is about 10% difference in power.

It also affects the speed at which the motor can rotate. Regardless of power and restrictions, the maximum motor speed is also proportional to voltage, so the maximum motor speed would be 10% less as well. That has little effect if the maximum unrestricted motor speed is well above the restricted speed.