Split/Shift, five day Commute.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
Haibike crank drive Yamaha and £100 second hand rear hub Oxygen

This should have been five days of going 14 miles to work cross country on my Yamaha Haibike, and then back 10 miles home on the road.

Ride to work front puncture 07 09 2021 001.JPG

However before my third trip to work I noticed my front tyre needed some air and pumped it up. After finishing my shift I found a flat front tyre, and as it was the small hours of the next day and I was very tired I took the chance that it was the valve in the tube playing up after I had pumped the tyre up, and just pumped it up and rode home.

Ride to work front puncture 07 09 2021 002.JPG

The next day it was clear that the tyre had lost air and although it could still be the valve playing up the odds were now on a slow puncture. I ride with a puncture resistant tyre with a tube on the front, and a tubeless set up on the rear, and such is the effectiveness of modern puncture resistant tyres that I am completely taken aback when I get a puncture.

Ride to work front puncture 07 09 2021 003.JPG

I decided to leave that repair until I was off work and whistled on to the field of play my super sub David (named after David Fairclough the Liverpool super sub), my £100 second hand Oxygen Emate City of 2011 vintage.

fairclough.jpg

The £100 ebike had not been used since the 22nd of June for my work commute, due to a run of late shifts and a summer holiday, so would 10 and a half weeks of inactivity have blunted her abilities.

Emate City 2 001.JPG

I rode her to work on Saturday and Sunday. Once again I was struck by how relaxing and deceptively quickly she covers the ground. On the first ride to work on Saturday there was a lot of annoying squeaking and metallic creaking, but it did not affect how she rode.

On Sunday morning I quickly diagnosed that the noises were emanating from the ancient original suspension pogo style seat post and simple removed it and squirted some WD40 inside the mechanism and the ride to work on Sunday was blissfully quiet.

I return to work on Thursday for three early turn jobs, so the £100 ebike will be back on duty!

So by the end of my five days of commuting to work my Haibike’s mileage had crept up to 14,126, from when I bought her in March 2015, and the £100 second hand Oxygen to 2,755, from the 500 she had covered when I bought her around September 2018.

It is just over four weeks to go now to when my ebike commuting to work and back days will be no more. I am going to miss my ebike commuting more than the job.

Last edited:

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
I also have an Oxygen e-Mate and agree it has the smoothest ride.

Mine has covered +6k miles. I can't be precise because the computer jammed recording 4095 miles/38 mins cycling time and I have no instructions for re-setting it! (D you have a manual...?). It has just had its first new chain, cassette and will soon be needing a new chainwheel and bearings which are all showing some signs of wear.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I decided to leave that repair until I was off work and whistled on to the field of play my super sub David

The £100 ebike had not been used since the 22nd of June for my work commute, due to a run of late shifts and a summer holiday, so would 10 and a half weeks of inactivity have blunted her abilities.

I rode her to work on Saturday and Sunday. Once again I was struck by how relaxing and deceptively quickly she covers the ground. On the first ride to work on Saturday there was a lot of annoying squeaking and metallic creaking, but it did not affect how she rode.

I bought her around September 2018.
View attachment 43877
I always had my suspicions. It must have been the limp wrist.

Back in the '60s when things were different, my dad always referred to his car as "he". When his sister (my aunt) asked why he did that when it was customary to refer to cars as "she", he said, "Mine's a good one. It's more reliable".

Last edited:

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
No manual I am afraid. Although someone sent me a link to a manual in a thread I wrote about my second hand Emate when I first got her.

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/the-tale-of-a-£100-second-hand-electric-bike.33079/#post-467114
Thanks. I note the link no longer works but browsing through the forum again, I have spotted that mine is not the only one to stall at this mileage.

I have now found the original manual at Oxygen but it doesn't outline how to do a hard reset.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Thanks. I note the link no longer works but browsing through the forum again, I have spotted that mine is not the only one to stall at this mileage.

I have now found the original manual at Oxygen but it doesn't outline how to do a hard reset.
There isn't a reset, though I know some got accidentally reset during disconnections. I think that in some circumstances the software can get zapped, then it reloads some defaults.

Last edited:

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
I've just contacted Oxygen. It's something I've been meaning to do for 2 years but your post reminded me, prompted by reading of another member having the same issue.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
My other Oxygen Emate has the very basic 790 unit with no screen, just buttons for on/off and the three assist levels, and another for the lights, so I am blissfully ignorant of the potentially huge mileage that bike has covered!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I've just contacted Oxygen. It's something I've been meaning to do for 2 years but your post reminded me, prompted by reading of another member having the same issue.
They won't know about old models. None of the original staff are still there. I used to fix their bikes for them. What is it that you want to know?

BTW, I still have some parts for old models. I just checked one of the trapezium shaped batteries, while I was sorting out my garage. I hadn't touched in in about 5 years. I pressed the charge level button and all the charge lights lit showing still full. I have an unused original Oxydrive kit bottle battery and a couple of the rack batteries from the mk2/mk3 kits (Das Kit).

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
@vfr400 Yes, they've said as much but are going to look to see whether they have a bike with the same C100 computer. My odometer mileage jammed at 4095 and gives a ride time of 38 minutes. One each ride, additional miles and ride times are recorded but as soon as the bike/computer is switched off then the computer is back to 4095 miles and 38 minutes ride time. All other functions work normally. I'd assumed it was just my bike until today when I saw another forum member had the same with his bike computer jamming at 4096 miles - too much of a coincidence.

It would be good to be able to reset it providing there is no risk of wrecking the computer. The manual (https://www.oxygenbicycles.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/C100-LCD-manual.pdf) doesn't cover this, however.

It seems there are several different computers fitted to the same bike model - the 790, the above model on georgehenry's bargain bike, and my C100. Oxygen have already responded and are going to look into it on an old model they have in stock. Excellent service for an older model (mine is 2015).

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I have two Emate City's. The one I bought new in 2011 has the 790 display, and the one I bought second hand for £100 in 2018, but of I believe a similar time period has a more modern style display.

Oxygen Emate City 005.JPG

Emate City 2 004.JPG