Help! Spoke tensioning cost at LBS

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
Any idea what the approximate cost of spoke tensioning would be at a LBS in a rural area. I‘ve got the usual graunchy noise that’s present when freewheeling as well as pedalling and last time Evan’s retensioned it under warranty. I’m out of warranty now so would prefer to use the LBS. Just not sure of cost and not comfortable messing about myself.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It's an easy job for a LBS, bread n butter job for them. One would expect they will charge an hours rate to do the job.

Reactions: Bikes4two

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Any idea what the approximate cost of spoke tensioning would be at a LBS in a rural area. I‘ve got the usual graunchy noise that’s present when freewheeling as well as pedalling and last time Evan’s retensioned it under warranty. I’m out of warranty now so would prefer to use the LBS. Just not sure of cost and not comfortable messing about myself.
Let an LBS do it by taking the wheel off and going there with it yourself. Ask if you can watch how they do it, and you may possibly be able to do it the next time yourself!
Make sure that you do not make it TOO obvious what you are up to.....
regards
Andy

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
Let an LBS do it by taking the wheel off and going there with it yourself. Ask if you can watch how they do it, and you may possibly be able to do it the next time yourself!
Make sure that you do not make it TOO obvious what you are up to.....
regards
Andy
That would probably cost me more in skinned knuckle, bust cables, and getting gears reindexed. I’m a DIY disaster.
Any idea what an hours rate at a rural LBS might be ?

I893469365902345609348566

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
Mine charges £15 an hour, was told it could cost £30 "If it's a very warped wheel", so I learned how to do it myself by watching videos on Youtube.

Reactions: Andy-Mat

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
£15 is okay as long as it doesn’t happen too often. Do you use a spoke tension meter and if so, which one .

I893469365902345609348566

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
£15 is okay as long as it doesn’t happen too often. Do you use a spoke tension meter and if so, which one .
I use just a spoke wrench with a single slot, like the one below. I attach zipties to the bike frame instead of using a truing stand. Listening to the sound spokes make when plucked like harp strings, can reveal severley overtightened spokes.

Reactions: Andy-Mat

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
I just put my new xf07 mxus in at my LBS for the full works, with a standard wheel the last time I was charge £8 & a motor wheel £12 but that was a while back. This motor wheel off PSWpower was in bad shape tbf.

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
A spoke tensiometer from Ali Express will be less than £15 - as has been said, watch a few YT vids to see if truing up a wheel is for you.

It's not difficult but if you're a DIY disaster then.........?

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: PC2017

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
That would probably cost me more in skinned knuckle, bust cables, and getting gears reindexed. I’m a DIY disaster.
Any idea what an hours rate at a rural LBS might be ?
If you skin a knuckle, you are putting far too much muscle power into the job. Due to the way a spoke is tensioned, and the design makes light work, only very moderate muscle power is needed.
That is not saying you should do the job by the way, that is your personal choice always! To do, or not to do!:p
regards
Andy

Reactions: Bikes4two

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Got my xf07 back, there's a slight raise on the rim join, but not something the LBS did they just pointed it out. £10 total cost I have to say these guys are a two man band & they used to work for the main LBS but that finished trading mid pandemic. I have to say price wise they are fair and they seem to do a lot of trade.