spotting other e-bikes

themutiny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2009
I have seen several posts on here to the effect that seeing any other e-bikes is rare, and I have commented that I see quite a few. This mornings sighting really does merit a comment.

I was out walking the dogs, and about 200 yds from my house I spotted an e-bike. As I got closer, I could see that it was an Alien. When the teenage girl doing her paper round climbed on it and whizzed off up the road I was speechless..

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
They must pay a lot for paper rounds these days... I don't buy papers these days (not got any cats in this house so no need for litter tray lining) but with the weight of todays rags (for instance a "right on green grauniad" having a ton of magazines etc at weekends) an ebike would make sense though..

I have seen several e-bikes in town, older powabykes, that blue thing mail order cycles in Copdock sell (ridden by an old janitor type dude), a Giant(?) with Panasonic drive, a young chap on a IZIP and also a Powabyke X-6 on the town bike stands.

saw a good looking lady on what I thought was a Wisper but it turned out to be one of them fakes. At the risk of being non-PC I did also then wonder what else about her could be fake :D

monster

Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
i think there are more ebikes than we realise. some of them are really stealthy and you wouldn't spot they were ebikes. i saw a chap with an old looking box on the back of his bike and he didn't seem to be pedaling. i was in traffic and only caught a glimps of him but chances are it was an ebike. i've only seen a handfull in oxford tho and theres loads of cyclists here.

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
They must pay a lot for paper rounds these days... I don't buy papers these days (not got any cats in this house so no need for litter tray lining) but with the weight of todays rags (for instance a "right on green grauniad" having a ton of magazines etc at weekends) an ebike would make sense though..

I have seen several e-bikes in town, older powabykes, that blue thing mail order cycles in Copdock sell (ridden by an old janitor type dude), a Giant(?) with Panasonic drive, a young chap on a IZIP and also a Powabyke X-6 on the town bike stands.

saw a good looking lady on what I thought was a Wisper but it turned out to be one of them fakes. At the risk of being non-PC I did also then wonder what else about her could be fake :D
Did it have Wisper on the bike then?Or was it a bike made with the same sort of frame?

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I've probably noticed about six ebikes in the last year, as I pass between fifty and a hundred bikes a day then it's a very low percentage.

glenn

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2009
only seen one here

here in the city i live in in devon have only seen one ebike besides mine. I think with the hills that the 200w limit is stopping them from being popular seems like this is a silly law as its the speed that matters not the power.

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
In southampton it used to be powabyke city:D but of late i have seen some different makes out there have seen 2 wispers and a few electric folders i would say there has been a slight increase in electric bikes in southampton:) nigel.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
About two minutes from my house I saw another cytronex bike the same as mine. It was such a coincidence that I thought for a minute it must be mine - I have not seen it again though. I see the occasional ebike but they are usually of the type that are not pedalled although there is a woman with a Laffree in Islington.

jac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2007
i see quite a few round Brighton in the last 2 weeks i have seen 5 different e bikes but if i am walking round town or along sea front at weekend i usually see at least one

jim

lectureral

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2007
Suva, Fiji
I was thinking about this on the morning run to take my wife to work in the centre of Geneva - nearly every bike I saw on the way in (about 10-12) were electric bikes - mostly panasonic-powered.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Same sort of frame

Did it have Wisper on the bike then?Or was it a bike made with the same sort of frame?
Hi Bigbee

They simply copied (very badly) the frame and every other bit they could even to the colour without spending too much money. I would love them to put Wisper on it!!

All the best David

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
The only E-bikes I have ever seen out on the road are a couple of Powabyke shoppers. We are a minority group. Maybe we should have an Electric Pride parade. Could cut down on those "that's cheating comments".

PS. Mobility scooters excepted. There's far too many of them on the streets.

Last edited:

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
Given the small percentage of ebike riders,you are unlikelly to see another bike whilst out riding,in just two visits to evesham i spotted a lafree being ridden on the first visit and a parked lafree and also a powabyke being used as a moped on my second visit which was two years later.

drgcb

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2008
I've only seen another e-bike once out and about in Sheffield. It was a new-looking Agattu parked outside the hospital at which I was working at the time. I was dismayed to see it was only secured by one of those silly locks they give away free at Center Parcs :eek:

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
I see a Giant something-or-other most mornings. I've seen another that I couldn't determine what it was and last week I saw an A2B and again this morning. That's about all I've seen and these are recent sightings.

Vikki.