Spreading Dropouts

Gooseman

Pedelecer
May 12, 2020
angus
Looking to change my bike to a new one as i built my first ebike on a old and not great condition bike that i already had to keep the cost down. Having tried a carrera crossfire 2 i would like to buy one of these and transfer the kit but have a couple of issues.
The dropouts are only 135mm
Wheel size is 700c
The hub i have currently needs 150mm and currently on a 26" wheel.
I am assuming as it is a disc brake system that going from 700c to 26" on the rear wouldn't cause much if any issues.
Widening the alluminium frame the extra 15mm is what is worrying me. Has anyone done this with alluminium frame and was the result ok or did it damage the frame?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Stretching the frame is not really an issue, but it brings the problem of disc alignment. There are two issues: Firstly, the drop-outs are no longer parallel, so the caliper would be at an angle to the disc; secondly, the disc will most likely be out of position laterally to the caliper. You can solve both problems by putting washers between the caliper adaptor and the frame, but if you go too far, the mounting won't be rigid enough, which will make the disc sing when you apply the brake.

Which 150mm motor are you trying to fit? Some wide motors have a large off-set too, so you have to add washers to the axle to bring the rim nearer the centre to avoid excessive dish, which means that you have to add even more washers to off-set the brake caliper, and you end up with say 160mm stretch.

Gooseman

Pedelecer
May 12, 2020
angus
Stretching the frame is not really an issue, but it brings the problem of disc alignment. There are two issues: Firstly, the drop-outs are no longer parallel, so the caliper would be at an angle to the disc; secondly, the disc will most likely be out of position laterally to the caliper. You can solve both problems by putting washers between the caliper adaptor and the frame, but if you go too far, the mounting won't be rigid enough, which will make the disc sing when you apply the brake.

Which 150mm motor are you trying to fit? Some wide motors have a large off-set too, so you have to add washers to the axle to bring the rim nearer the centre to avoid excessive dish, which means that you have to add even more washers to off-set the brake caliper, and you end up with say 160mm stretch.
it's a voilamart 26" rear wheel conversion kit purchased back in april (Their new listings show them to be 13cm between dropouts).

Gooseman

Pedelecer
May 12, 2020
angus
We're not getting far are we? Let's try again. Which 150mm motor do you have? Please don't say, "The one I bought in April".
Voilamart 250w 36v rear wheel