Sprocket wear

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Cleanliness seems to be the way to go, but dedicated products for degreasing seem very expensive. More than a chain in many cases!

What's the low cost way to properly clean, dry and lubricate?

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Cleanliness seems to be the way to go, but dedicated products for degreasing seem very expensive. More than a chain in many cases!

The best thing would be a chain guard system so the dirt didn't get there in the first place...but that just looks too old fashioned :)

With chains getting thinner to cram more gears in and chains stressed diagonally from biggest front to largest rear a lot of the time, it's no wonder chains and sprockets don't last very long.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
You're asking for Pandora's box to be opened!

Since @Nealh recommended using Hypoid 90, I've been using that exclusively. I don't clean anything, I simply keep throwing on Hypoid 90 - it's far superior to the 4 in 1 sewing machine oil I was using previously. I really don't see the point of saving a few pounds by slaving away keeping my chain etc. scrupulously clean, to gain single digit percentage increase in chain and/or cassette life. When @soundwave saw a photo of my chain the other day, he said:

clean it you tramp
:D

Warning: Some forumites may find the following image distressing

Despite the way it looks, it works perfectly.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: sjpt

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Hypoid 90? But the smell of Molly Sulphide as you are riding must be awful?
Does it smell? Thanks to the magic of vaped nicotine, I can't smell a damned thing.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Ah, so you're one of those Pedelec steam trains then :p
I can't vape and ride - 20" wheels are too twitchy... hence my musings about adding indicators - hand signals are not possible, for me at least.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
I can't vape and ride - 20" wheels are too twitchy... hence my musings about adding indicators - hand signals are not possible, for me at least.
It's not the size of the wheels that's the problem. You need better handle bars. The ones you get on folders these days tend to be too short and too straight. I used to ride a 16 inch front wheel folder, but the handlebars gave excellent control and stability.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It's not the size of the wheels that's the problem. You need better handle bars. The ones you get on folders these days tend to be too short and too straight. I used to ride a 16 inch front wheel folder, but the handlebars gave excellent control and stability.
My handebars are 80cm wide - it's dodgy eyesight: Central Serous Retinopathy - weirdly, I'm allowed to drive, but I'd rather not. I don't ride for the first 30 minutes after waking, when there are big black blobs all over the world. Central vision varies in warp in each eye, which does affect balance a little, certainly enough to affect balance on my bike. Anyone who works with LED lit screens should use a UV filter: CSR is the new RSI for IT workers - previously it was mostly airline pilots who got CSR.

Self-test for CSR and macular degeneration:

Reactions: Plas man

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
I run a BBS01bb 250w at 15a, I just accept that my 9 speed cassette and chain have to be replaced after a couple of thousand miles at a total cost of about £35..happy to take the hit on that and have the extra grunt of a mid drive over a hub motor

Deal of the day: SunRace Black 9 Speed 11-40T Cassette https://amzn.eu/d/4XZuz2c

Deal: KMC Unisex's X9 Chain, Grey, 114 Link https://amzn.eu/d/2u2iOnQ

• Agree
Reactions: Zlatan and guerney

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Just to offer perspective.
There is a common misconception that power transmission is the culprit for chain wear. It isn't. As I mentioned earlier the major influence is actually torque, which with chain drives exhibits itself with a difference in tension between the driven side and the slack. Folk then hit an issue with misunderstanding of torque and power. (Andy had it in his head since average riders can only churn out 100w they can not be responsible for chain wear. That is utterly wrong)
Somebody standing on a static pedal is putting extreme amounts of torque into the system (simply their weight in lbs x length of crank in feet to arrive at foot pounds) but with no movement is actually producing zero work.!(ie no watts at all)
So that person even only producing 100 w can still inflict damage to teeth etc which then goes onto show itself as wear, but because a motor is also involved we blame that.
The motor, for want of a better description, gives gentle, smooth assistance with fairly constant low figures of torque. The rider supplies pulses of extreme torque,especially at low cadence. (with result of much damaging torque and low power)
The motor produces its power by delivering relatively little torque but at high rpm..
Invariably, damage sustained even on crank drives, is initiated by rider, not the motor. The motor simply exacerbates the inherent weakness in lightweight chain drives. The riders do all the damage. High mileage is put on crank drives by simply riding, pedaling and changing gear as we really should.
although I agree that the torque from the motor is relatively moderate, the wear still accumulates with mileage. Riders with a crank drive also rarely have to stand on the pedals. The chain and the small cogs at the rear suffer much more wear and tear with a crank drive motor compared to a hub motor for the same mileage.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
although I agree that the torque from the motor is relatively moderate, the wear still accumulates with mileage. Riders with a crank drive also rarely have to stand on the pedals. The chain and the small cogs at the rear suffer much more wear and tear with a crank drive motor compared to a hub motor for the same mileage.
I agree totally with that Woosh but
saying crank drives inherently wear out drive components by default is wrong. It's either abuse via torque of rider or simple wear and tear consummate with usage. At riding weight of 105kg on ordinary mtb I could wear out same parts in similar mileages without the need of electric motor. To my mind the extra wear associated with emtb crank drive is simply a function of going faster, steeper and further. I expect around 1000 miles (minimum) from a cassette. That isn't difficult to achieve. (far exceeded on Haibike)
Again, to my mind that does not constitute any inherent problem with crank drives as suggested by some.
The other thing to mention is that much as its obvious hub drive is bound to suffer less drive mechanism wear, it simply doesn't do the job. I, d be walking up many steep, gnarly climbs in Derbyshire with hub drive, saving all drive mechanism wear. A tool that doesn't work never actually wears out.
There isn't a legal (250w) hub drive bike made that could compete with legal (250w) crank drive emtb on steep slow climbs.
Yes, hub drive have their uses but mtb is certainly not one of them.
Writing crank drives off because chains /sprockets wear out is quite ridiculous. All drive trains wear out.
Standing on pedals was stretching issue to make point high torque does not necessarily mean high power.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I expect around 1000 miles (minimum) from a cassette. That isn't difficult to achieve. (far exceeded on Haibike)
Expecting only 1,000 miles mimimum seems very conservative - installed at conversion, my cassette has managed 2,285 miles so far and counting. Mind you, mine's a BBS01B at 15A, not a Haibike at 20A.

Reactions: Zlatan and egroover

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0096_02.JPG

i have only had 2 cassettes and sold the left one on ebay years ago so many thousands of miles on my 12spd one and it is still fine done about 900 miles this year with the new motor with even more power and chain is at 0.25.

the one thing on my bike that i have to change about every 3 months is that bloody ses wheel bearing as it is gone as soon as it makes a noise and it is still the original one that came with my bike.

DSC_0316_03.JPG

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Expecting only 1,000 miles mimimum seems very conservative - installed at conversion, my cassette has managed 2,285 miles so far and counting. Mind you, mine's a BBS01B at 15A, not a Haibike at 20A.
Yep, agreed. I got 3k on each cassette on Haibike, point is I, d expect wear over 1k miles and considering use bike gets put to, conditions I use it in and my not inconsiderable bulk I, d be happy changing the lot every 1000 miles or so, yearly??? .(for some odd reason both wheel bearings expired at around 300 miles, but changed under warranty (actually gave me new hubs) but don't think poor front wheel bearing life can be blamed on crank drive.??

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
for some odd reason both wheel bearings expired at around 300 miles
That's crazy. You don't weigh 50 stones. Do you jump over hedges often?

I expect my cassette on a 20" wheel, will last a bit longer than @egroover 's.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
View attachment 49645

i have only had 2 cassettes and sold the left one on ebay years ago so many thousands of miles on my 12spd one and it is still fine done about 900 miles this year with the new motor with even more power and chain is at 0.25.

the one thing on my bike that i have to change about every 3 months is that bloody ses wheel bearing as it is gone as soon as it makes a noise and it is still the original one that came with my bike.

View attachment 49646
All that cleanliness is hurting my eyes.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • Agree
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

;)

;)

About £20. I say let dirt and Hypoid 90 run riot!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

thats next on the list but thats not the most expensive cassette.