Sprocket wear

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
If the obsession is healthy obsession is fine.
If you peel the pears I, ll have some. The prickly bit is a real pain. Nice fruit tho.
Someone told me they've become fashionable - cocktail ingredient with Tequila. If the weather's dry, I might well do it... trouble is I'd need to start germinating seeds in January in the incubator, then gamble on a long dry summer. Quite honestly I was considering growing grapes and olives.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
I wish my bafang bbs01 48v could get near 750watts it cant get above 550watts peak and runs 150 to 350 watts . The firmware is locked at 12 amps my level 9 is equivalent 2 or 3 on the 750 watt set for 25 amps
PS the 02 750 watt controller does not fit

• Informative
Reactions: guerney and Zlatan

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Someone told me they've become fashionable - cocktail ingredient with Tequila. If the weather's dry, I might well do it... trouble is I'd need to start germinating seeds in January in the incubator, then gamble on a long dry summer. Quite honestly I was considering growing grapes and olives.
We have vine trees in our garden (Rotherham) and last few years have produced an abundance of grapes.. If left on vine till October they are sweet and perfectly edible. (apart from the seeds)

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
PS the 02 750 watt controller does not fit
Is the controller board the same physical size? Would it be possible to swap the boards between cases? I've never tried to remove the potting material (after posting my original bbs01b controller to China, at my cost, I got a free replacement instead), but saw on a page about mosfet replacement, that it was possible to chisel it out using a flat-head screwdriver:

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
We have vine trees in our garden (Rotherham) and last few years have produced an abundance of grapes.. If left on vine till October they are sweet and perfectly edible. (apart from the seeds)
With warming climate, black truffles? White truffle farming is apparently impossible, but it's possible to buy truffle infected saplings of the right tree types.

• Informative
Reactions: Zlatan

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I also like mudguards to cover a lot more of the wheel than those. Huge gaps at both the front and back which you would really notice when it was wet.
The mudguards are though pretty useless in function and are just a token , both will do little to stop any crud from smattering feet or the drive train fore and aft.
It might be possible to extend the mudguards somehow? Join together and reinforce with coathanger wire to reduce flapping about lol. Custom 3D printed mudguards may be too heavy?

Surely mudguards can't be impossible to extend?

In other respects, Montague folding bikes look to me like very interesting candidates for electrifcation.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
I have full mudguards, but was still finding they were not long enough at the back, I kept getting mud and crap spattered up my back. So I cut up a 500 ml PET drinks bottle and superglued it to the end of the existing mudguard. Works a treat. Need to do the same to the front now.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I have full mudguards, but was still finding they were not long enough at the back, I kept getting mud and crap spattered up my back. So I cut up a 500 ml PET drinks bottle and superglued it to the end of the existing mudguard. Works a treat. Need to do the same to the front now.
Cool solution. How full are your full mudguards? What bike do you have?

Perhaps Montague's folding mechanism patent has expired? Here's what looks like a cheapo copy on Amazon:

Montague's new clamp:

Last edited:

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
As I think someone else mentioned having a 9 speed transmission on my Haibike means that replacing worn out bits is much more reasonable than systems with more gears.

Back before this inflation malarkey when I was commuting regularly a 24 mile round trip to work and back, 14 mostly off road to work and 10 back on the road, I had bought a job lot of the cassettes I used in 2019 when I noticed they were cheap, Shimano HG400 9 speed, 12/36, for £12.50 each delivered, stacked on my garage shelf. I still have one left!

Chains were also cheap, I looked for deals and remember buying two delivered for about £7.

The only thing that cost more was the Narrow Wide chain ring as I initially bought quite an expensive one, and liked it so much I have kept buying them. They last around 3,000 miles but cost around £50, ouch.

So looking back I was sadly a bit profligate when I was commuting, not bothering to measure chain wear and just bunging a new chain and cassette on when my top gear (It was always my top gear) started to jump under load. But hey it was costing less than £20 to do that back then (2019 not that long ago).

Now even 9 speed parts have gone up, £25 for my cassette and over £15 for a chain.

So maybe I will try a new approach to see how it goes. The three chain approach.

With a new transmission start with a new chain, chain 1. When that reaches the .5 point, take it off, clean it and store it and put a new chain on, chain 2. Do the same with chain two at the .5 wear point and put on chain 3. When chain 3 reaches the .5 wear point put chain 1 back on and run it to the .75 wear point. Take it off clean it and store. Do the same with chains 2 and 3. Then put chain one back on and repeat the process every 200 miles and see how long your transmission lasts. Can I be bothered, I am not sure!

Regarding mudguards, I have tried to get as much mud coverage as possible. Cable ties are your friend!

Ride to Work aftermath March 2020 003.JPG

Ride to Work aftermath March 2020 005.JPG

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
Some really good points there, but would it be fair to say many hubs are more than 60 Nm torque and still "legal"?

Bafang G20.250 is 45Nm. Yose power 250W is about 35Nm, Voilamart 250W 15Nm. The only one I know is the Bafang BPM or CST at 60 Nm.

That said, I've never had someone on a mid drive get away from the lights faster than me - though I am not at all competitive...just saying for scientific purposes :)
I've got a geared hub motor that claims 250W and 65Nm but its on a 20" wheel? I guess on a larger wheel 700c the torque would be significantly reduced. I bought it on Amazon but I found the same wheel on aliexpress and they had a chart showing how torque varied with wheel size. They were claiming 95Nm for the 500W geared motor on a 20" wheel. I think it has windings suitable for a cargo bike so more torque less speed plus the 20" wheel size itself increases the torque again at the expense of speed.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
I always grab a few cassettes and chains when on offer, I think I have 3 x spare new Sunrace 11-40t 9 speed ones I picked up when they go on offer on Amazon for about £16 each, and 4 or 5 x KMC 9 speed grey chains when also on offer at about £10 each. I look out for the amazon £5 off a £15 spend codes that pop up every few months and grab chains and cassettes then.

I don't worry about drivetrain wear as i happily crunch through the gears on full power knowing I got cheap parts sat on the shelf ready to swap out when needed

Reactions: guerney and Zlatan

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The potting in the controller is melted to the pcb its glue like and i could not remove it :oops::oops: my dead spare suffered damage in the attempt.;):confused: Surface mounted devices big fat old fingers bad eyes and the shakes do not help

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you can try and boil it in pot of water and it might turn to like a jelly but will still be a fkn mission heat beats glue every single time.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I've got a geared hub motor that claims 250W and 65Nm but its on a 20" wheel? I guess on a larger wheel 700c the torque would be significantly reduced. I bought it on Amazon but I found the same wheel on aliexpress and they had a chart showing how torque varied with wheel size. They were claiming 95Nm for the 500W geared motor on a 20" wheel. I think it has windings suitable for a cargo bike so more torque less speed plus the 20" wheel size itself increases the torque again at the expense of speed.
I need both toque for towing and speed for getting to work - I'll probably stick with mid-drive.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020

Wheel size will affect overall torque, but the torque value for the motor should be quoted for the motor itself, regardless of what wheel it is in.

Can you link the ad so we can have a look?

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Cool solution. How full are your full mudguards? What bike do you have?
It's an old Marin hybrid. The rear mudguard I got from eBay a couple of years ago to replace the original. As with most rear mudguards, it comes to an end at just before the 3 o'clock position (when viewing the bike from the left hand side). Extending it 3 inches in length by the addition of the PET bottle makes all the difference.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It's an old Marin hybrid. The rear mudguard I got from eBay a couple of years ago to replace the original. As with most rear mudguards, it comes to an end at just before the 3 o'clock position (when viewing the bike from the left hand side). Extending it 3 inches in length by the addition of the PET bottle makes all the difference.
PET is a good non-flexible material choice. I could probably do with a slightly longer flap for my front mudflap - I get some crud collecting under the bbs01b, which is a worry when they've thrown rock salt over roads.

(not my bike, but same model from same year)

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
PET is a good non-flexible material choice. I could probably do with a slightly longer flap for my front mudflap - I get some crud collecting under the bbs01b, which is a worry when they've thrown rock salt over roads.

(not my bike, but same model from same year)

For practical reasons, you might just have to put a plastic screen in front of the motor to protect it. The mudguard would have to go so low it would probably get in the way.