Help! Stabilisers for Adult Ebike

ladymelchet

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 19, 2019
I would be very grateful for help and advice please. I am keen ebike rider and am on to my second ebike a Cube Kathmandu. Sadly I suffered a Subarachnoid Haemorrhage in September 2022. The Haemorrhage has let me with mild left hand weakness, balance issues, and unsteady walking. I am very keen to get on the bike again and adult stabilisers have been suggested. Does anybody have any experience of using stabilisers, are there any pitfalls, and can they recommend a make.
Many Thanks

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I would be very grateful for help and advice please. I am keen ebike rider and am on to my second ebike a Cube Kathmandu. Sadly I suffered a Subarachnoid Haemorrhage in September 2022. The Haemorrhage has let me with mild left hand weakness, balance issues, and unsteady walking. I am very keen to get on the bike again and adult stabilisers have been suggested. Does anybody have any experience of using stabilisers, are there any pitfalls, and can they recommend a make.
Many Thanks
Stabilisers sound like a good idea, but they're not, so don't get them. Firstly, they reverse the steering, so you'll topple at the first corner you come to, and if you manage to reverse your brain and get used to that, you still have the problem that if a stabiliser hits a bump, it'll topple the bike. Either get a recumbent trike with two wheels at the front or stick with two wheels and just get a bike that has very good stability from its design. You have to try different ones to see what works.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
E cargo trike.
Trike- because it gives you the stability you need
Cargo- because it allows you to make meaningful trips, shopping and the like.

E Cargo Trike- because they are the trendy 'in' thing as more people and families look at the options available to replace a car (at least in part)

Last edited:

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
E cargo trike.
Trike- because it gives you the stability you need
Cargo- because it allows you to make meaningful trips, shopping and the like.

E Cargo Trike- because they are the trendy 'in' thing as more people and families look at the options available to replace a car (at least in part)
Or even a quad. There is a company in the Netherlands that make them.

However, cargo bikes and recumbent trikes can be quite expensive. You can get a basic delta trike quite cheaply. Not the most stable, but the most affordable and better than stabilisers.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I agree with the others that stabilizers are likely to be a bad idea. Quite a few Pashley and similar trikes on ebay that you could convert. They are mostly going to be pretty heavy; you'll get a very different experience than with the Cube.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The lady will need good access & storage for a trike.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
what about something like this, easy to swap out the front wheel, and can swap back once you get your balance back, plus handy for the shopping etc

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
That AddBike is a really interesting idea.
It may not suit OP who specifically mentions balance issues.
WARNING: The AddBike+ has a tilting wheel system which isn’t suitable for people looking for stability (this isn’t recommended if you have balance and/or motor skill problems for example).

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
There's one of those on a famous auction website too, at less than half the price of the ICE folding trike. But kmxkarts.co.uk seems dead, and kmxcarts.com has been let go.

Oh no, KMX carts dead? They were taken over last year. I'll investigate what's happened.

peterjd

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2019
That AddBike is a really interesting idea.
It may not suit OP who specifically mentions balance issues.
WARNING: The AddBike+ has a tilting wheel system which isn’t suitable for people looking for stability (this isn’t recommended if you have balance and/or motor skill problems for example).
What an interesting innovation though. It mentions locking the tilting mechanism when loading - I wonder why it couldn't be ridden that way if necessary?

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
What in this context are the "pros", and indeed the "cons" of the OP adding Addbike, with or without the +?

On the point of "stabilisers", rear outriggers, I feel these could readily lead to a tumble, sooner rather than later. If low enough to ground and so give stabilisation, then by definition they will "ground"!
I feel these are a significant reason why many a child has been put off bikes for life, our granddaughter for one.

• Dislike
Reactions: robert44

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The addbike is much like the TReGo that PeterC had on a couple of bikes , the tilt I doubt will be of much concern as it simply aids the bike in making turns easier rather then a upright stance that a traditional rigid trike uses. The latter often being a concern for stability on turning.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The addbike is much like the TReGo that PeterC had on a couple of bikes , the tilt I doubt will be of much concern as it simply aids the bike in making turns easier rather then a upright stance that a traditional rigid trike uses. The latter often being a concern for stability on turning.
The Addbike has an adapter, to make it compatible with my 74mm front fork, but I'm not sure that I'd want to carry heavy cargo at the front. It might be the only way to add a front disc brake to my particular bike.