Started my first conversion

superjonnyboy

Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2017
Caerleon, S.Wales
I started the conversion of my Giant Talon 2.5 with a 60V kit this week. I'd already upgraded the front forks from the cheapo Suntours that were on it to Rockshox 30mm Gold RL's, which also allowed me to go up to a 180mm front disc. With the ebike kit fitted, I can't help thinking the forks look a little spindley, it's only a commuter though which will see nothing more gnarly than a canal path. Also added a Thudbuster suspension seat post to keep the rear a bit happier and stripped the drivetrain down to a 1x8 - I might need a bigger chainring than 32T.

I had a few problems to overcome, most of which I've read other users had too, namely rear brake caliper spacing and the throttle interfering with the rear gear thumb shifter.

The rear caliper was up tight against the hub motor so I had to machine down the thickness of the IS to post adapter by 3mm. I'll have to space the disc out from the hub too to get it central, that's tonights job. I've also ordered an over bar shifter to get around the throttle conflict.

Other than that, it wasn't too bad a job. I got the pedal sensor fitted to the drive side with the sensor bracket held under the bottom bracket flange. The controller has no two plugs the same, so it was really plug & play. I'm suprised by the weight of the motor and now the bike all together and I haven't even received the battery yet, I sure won't be lifting it over any styles!

20170614_211725.jpg 20170614_211741.jpg 20170614_211753.jpg 20170614_211817.jpg 20170614_211859.jpg

Last edited: