Step through/low step bike £1500

AliC

Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2021
It's new bike year for me Huband has suggested an e-bike (he has a wisper 705). I'm still yet to be convinced. Did put in an offer on a Juicy Nova yesterday but then saw it in real life and it's very chunky looking.
Local Juicy stockist also had the Roller, Ticket and some of the others in stock. Also liked the look of the Malva and Linaria Defintely looked the look of these more than the Nova. Not too concerned about weight but prefer one that look like a normal bike. Hydraulic disc brakes if possible but realise it may be tricky at this budget. Would prefer 28" wheels if possible.
Also like the look of the Giant Ease e+ but thats top of my buget and wouldn't want to go higher than that

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
I can recommend the Pinnacle Mercury from Evans cycles which looks like its being discounted at the moment. It’s available as a step through (I have the traditional frame) and is good for hauling my 13st around 38 miles on mixed gravel tracks and towpaths. I’m 5’6” and the Medium frame size is just right for me but anyone shorter should go for the small. Standard Bafang components and in fairness to my local store, the staff have been able to sort a loose BB while I waited.

If you have a blue light card, there’s a further discount available at Sports Direct so I’ve attached that link. If possible, I’d collect the bike from store as their delivery service seems to be very poor.

Reactions: egroover

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
I can recommend the Pinnacle Mercury from Evans cycles which looks like its being discounted at the moment. It’s available as a step through (I have the traditional frame) and is good for hauling my 13st around 38 miles on mixed gravel tracks and towpaths. I’m 5’6” and the Medium frame size is just right for me but anyone shorter should go for the small. Standard Bafang components and in fairness to my local store, the staff have been able to sort a loose BB while I waited.

If you have a blue light card, there’s a further discount available at Sports Direct so I’ve attached that link. If possible, I’d collect the bike from store as their delivery service seems to be very poor.

At £769 that's a pretty solid good value entry in the world of ebiking and would make a decent commuter bike for sub 20 mile round trip commutes. As you say standard Bafang china parts so easy and cheap to fix, and elsewhere a good level of componentry for the money. Add a rack/bag, lights and mudguards and you'll good to go

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
At £769 that's a pretty solid good value entry in the world of ebiking and would make a decent commuter bike for sub 20 mile round trip commutes. As you say standard Bafang china parts so easy and cheap to fix, and elsewhere a good level of componentry for the money. Add a rack/bag, lights and mudguards and you'll good to go
Agreed, although I’d have no qualms pushing the bike to 30 miles round trip in winter - last week was 10 miles at 2°C and only used c20% charge. The downside is that you can either have a mudguard or rack but not both (according to Evans) so I just use a lightweight back pack.

Worth mentioning that the Kenda tyres are the puncture proof variety (Kenda Kwick Seven.5) which seem okay so far. Also I believe blue light discount is 10% at Sports Direct. My man maths is almost persuading me to buy one of these for the spare battery and motor alone. Plus I can hot swap summer and winter tyres.

If anyone has a suggestion for a front mudguard, I’m all ears.

AliC

Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2021
I think I'd defintely need both mudguards and a rack but the bike is a bit of a bargain.
Came across the Forme Peak Trail 3 ELS this morning which we have have stockists of in town. So waiting to hear if they have it in stock.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Agreed, although I’d have no qualms pushing the bike to 30 miles round trip in winter - last week was 10 miles at 2°C and only used c20% charge. The downside is that you can either have a mudguard or rack but not both (according to Evans) so I just use a lightweight back pack.

Worth mentioning that the Kenda tyres are the puncture proof variety (Kenda Kwick Seven.5) which seem okay so far. Also I believe blue light discount is 10% at Sports Direct. My man maths is almost persuading me to buy one of these for the spare battery and motor alone. Plus I can hot swap summer and winter tyres.

Something like this might suit https://www.rutlandcycling.com/accessories/mudguards/universal-mudguards/sks-veloflexx-55mm-mudguard-set-26-27.5inch-wheel/SKMVFLEX65.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAoY-PBhCNARIsABcz772LvjYk_PAEFQ6n-S87UygbdkleQNOwBBPeETB_sLEanyuIo0bDQwYaAma0EALw_wcB

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Excellent customer service. Quality standard parts for long term maintainability at a reasonable price.

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
Good spot but I’m not really a fan of the traditional mudguards. I’ve got one of the MTB rear guards that clamps to the seat post but I recently saw a nice rear rack that does the same and seems to double up as a guard. I don’t have anything on the front but the wide downtube seems to stop a lot of the muck and what gets past isn’t much of an issue for leisure rides, although it wouldn’t do for a commuter. I might try an MTB style on the front as there’s a hole in the top of the forks that would hold it but the angle seems too tight for anything useful. Might have to resort to the cable tied plastic jobbies.

AliC

Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2021
Like the look of the Santana but wondering if I'd miss my hydraulic brakes that I have on my current non electric bike.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the front brakes on the Santana is disc. You can replace the cable operated Avid caliper with a hydraulic one. The cost is about £20-£30. As most of the braking (70%) is done at the front, it will give about the same braking power as if both front and rear were hydraulic.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Kudo safari is dated but still cheap and comes fully equipped and has nexus hub gears.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Kudos Sonata at £1195 is similar price to the Santana and comes with hydraulic disk brakes.

Smaller battery; I think you might do better with the Santana and updating for front brake as Woosh suggested. A tad lighter than the Santana (hardly significant, might be down to slightly different equipment). The Safari is much cheaper but quite a bit heavier; over 29kg is quite a lump.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Good spot but I’m not really a fan of the traditional mudguards. I’ve got one of the MTB rear guards that clamps to the seat post but I recently saw a nice rear rack that does the same and seems to double up as a guard. I don’t have anything on the front but the wide downtube seems to stop a lot of the muck and what gets past isn’t much of an issue for leisure rides, although it wouldn’t do for a commuter. I might try an MTB style on the front as there’s a hole in the top of the forks that would hold it but the angle seems too tight for anything useful. Might have to resort to the cable tied plastic jobbies.
I have a rack which is used daily for panniers, and I made a rudimentary mudguard from a strip of thin bendy secondhand plywood which lies on the top of the rack and bends down to meet the back of the seat tube. Works pretty well, with the seat tube itself helping out. Secured with zip ties through holes in the plywood.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The safari is heavy because is it fully loaded/kitted out for touring cycling and has the heavier safer chemistry lifepo4 battery and the nexus hub gears.
Once one starts with a 22/24kg bike and then starts adding a lock, lights, mudgaurds, rack and panniers it won't e far off the safari weight.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
That Pinnacle bike comes in at 21kg which is not bad. Not having a 3kg cheap Suntour pogo stick suspension fork probably helps keep the weight down

Reactions: Barnsleyrob

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
The downside is that you can either have a mudguard or rack but not both (according to Evans) so I just use a lightweight back pack.
I would think you could manage both. Squinting at the Mercury images there seem to be mounting points on the stays below the saddle and also down at the rear dropouts.
Those top mounting points are for a rack (a mudguard won't need them) and down the bottom at the rear dropouts the rack and mudguards can share the mounting point with a longer bolt. Just be sure to fit the rack on the bolt first (so it's tight against the frame for maximum strength), and then the mudguard.

If you don't like that arrangement, there may be room for a beam-like rack if you don't need to carry more than 9Kg. It attaches just below the seat:

Blumels SKS have always served me well. I can't advise on size, sorry. It will depend on your tyre radiius and width. An example:

Reactions: Barnsleyrob

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
if anyone is thinking of getting the Pinnacle, there's only 2 small size left but about 160 of the medium in stock...so in order to shift them they might reduce further...

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
I would think you could manage both. Squinting at the Mercury images there seem to be mounting points on the stays below the saddle and also down at the rear dropouts.
Those top mounting points are for a rack (a mudguard won't need them) and down the bottom at the rear dropouts the rack and mudguards can share the mounting point with a longer bolt. Just be sure to fit the rack on the bolt first (so it's tight against the frame for maximum strength), and then the mudguard.

If you don't like that arrangement, there may be room for a beam-like rack if you don't need to carry more than 9Kg. It attaches just below the seat:

Blumels SKS have always served me well. I can't advise on size, sorry. It will depend on your tyre radiius and width. An example:
Thanks. I particularly like the rack, in fact it may have been the one I stumbled on.

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
That Pinnacle bike comes in at 21kg which is not bad. Not having a 3kg cheap Suntour pogo stick suspension fork probably helps keep the weight down
It doesn’t feel like a heavy bike and also has an undocumented walk assist function. In fact the documentation supplied is a bit rubbish but I have obtained the user guides direct from Bafang. I’ve also got email confirmation of the battery charging regime from the Taiwanese manufacturer.