still not to sure what to make of bosch ebike system

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the simplest solution is a throttle, don't you think?

Reactions: mike killay

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
the simplest solution is a throttle, don't you think?
NO. I've seen you (Trex?) mention how good a woosh is on a throttle up hills, last week I had the chance to try it on a woosh CD bike, and it was pathetic on a hill that wasn't even that steep.

Now a throttle on a motorbike would work.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
NO. I've seen you (Trex?) mention how good a woosh is on a throttle up hills, last week I had the chance to try it on a woosh CD bike, and it was pathetic on a hill that wasn't even that steep.

Now a throttle on a motorbike would work.
that's not based on facts and akind to a religious affirmation, disregarding the needs of the OP.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Wouldn't a high torque hub motor with PAS be enough?
I think so too. There are also plenty of crank drive motors running on rotational sensor.
More bikes are sold with hub motors than with Bosch CD motors.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
that's not based on facts and akind to a religious affirmation, disregarding the needs of the OP.
... I am reminded of one of your previous posts Woosh regarding clients with real medical problems.. locking joints, limited lung capacity etc and fully agree that in those limited cases a throttle must be literally the way to go. I don't see why there should not be a medical exemption , similar to vehicle modifications for disabled drivers, for any ebikes.
Having read multiple postings over the last few months on this website, and trying to distinguish the engineering from the religious fundamentalism, and having had experience on both a hub motor bike and now a Bosch active, my conclusions are as follows.
1. All things being equal , except price , a central motor driving through gears gives a better ride , with longer range for the same battery consumption.
2. Hub motors, particularly those with internal gears give a satisfactory experience on flat and moderate hills, especially if the bike is also fitted with gears.
3. Hub motors are reliable and require somewhat less maintenance than does a crank drive.
4. Hub motors are less expensive to manufacture, , less effort to install, and consequently a cheaper option.
5. With sufficient torque , however derived, any bike will go up any incline. The power will determine how fast ..
6. It would be desirable to have multiple control options on a bike .. torque, toggle, cadence
7. In my opinion it would be nicer if the torque multiplier adjustment could be increased from the current 2.5 on a Bosch to 10 or 20 , while limiting the overall peak torque to safe limits for chain and gearbox. In such a case the cyclist effort could be reduced while still producing adaquate speed.

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
From the first of July 1st all official Bosch dealers wil have a new software download for the CX motor only that they have named eMTB.
It enables the rider to get more power with less pedal pressure.

• Disagree
Reactions: Fish2 and Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Dropping the extra two gears, or swapping out the front sprocket and or cassette would solve the issue though
at his current level of fitness, he needs an assist ratio of x 4.5 to get the best out of his bike without having to pedal faster or harder.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
at his current level of fitness, he needs an assist ratio of x 4.5 to get the best out of his bike without having to pedal faster or harder.
oh I hadn't realised the OP had been to the woosh fitness assessment lab to have his fitness assessed :rolleyes:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Artstu, if you have bothered checking the info given by the OP in the opening post, you'd have seen that he is only after a higher assist ratio. A lot of people can't go higher than 70 RPM for various health reasons like prostate issue or simply aging. Check 11mph against the 26T - you will find that's the limitation for his current fitness. If he gets x4.5, he can climb the same road at 15.5mph without tiring himself out - the motor output is well within the capability even of the Active Line.
A bit more maths and a bit less condescension wouldn't go amiss.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Artstu, if you have bothered checking the info given by the OP in the opening post, you'd have seen that he is only after a higher assist ratio. A lot of people can't go higher than 70 RPM for various health reasons like prostate issue or simply aging. Check 11mph against the 26T - you will find that's the limitation for his current fitness. If he gets x4.5, he can climb the same road at 15.5mph without tiring himself out - the motor output is well within the capability even of the Active Line.
A bit more maths and a bit less condescension wouldn't go amiss.
Really you got all that from the first post o_O

have been trying to get to grips with my bosch powered ktm macinna active line
have now covered 130 miles.
shortish none to steep hills I can do ok in sport.
on a road that rises slightly regardless of going from tour to sport and whatever gear I seemed to be stuck at 11mph?
saterday on my subway one tdz mid drive loaded with panniers and locks went to open air market and returned with bulging panniers this is a 25 mile round trip with 16 very hilly miles sport mode.
not sure I could do the same trip on the bosch which is lighter 20.4kg but 50nm vs 60nm tdz

I tried a local hill yesterday about 1.5 miles which rises fairly steeply near the end in turbo but did not make it to the top,
range however 48 miles 2 bars showing out of 5 average speed a lowly 9.3mph

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Trex has gone for good, Artstu.
His account is closed.

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
hi all
not done any hills but today tried the lower gears 23 and the lowest 26 30 34
flattish but rising slightly, found in the 30 although seeming to be spinning the pedals quite fast and doing about 12mph the power meter was only about half way,

tour mode the meter just above the tour icon in display?
had to go sport and 23 to get moving a bit.
as regards hills want to go up slow but easy
did the same road on vita uno 32f 14 r was somewhat easier
www.velominati.com has a cadence calculator
what is the op I keep seeing in posts
52.79 miles covered I bar left at 50 miles no idea how far that gets me

Last edited:

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
... I am reminded of one of your previous posts Woosh regarding clients with real medical problems.. locking joints, limited lung capacity etc and fully agree that in those limited cases a throttle must be literally the way to go. I don't see why there should not be a medical exemption , similar to vehicle modifications for disabled drivers, for any ebikes.

I think there is case for throttle only but maybe speed limited to 10mph. With motor geared for this speed it would be great climber under throttle, which is essential for these riders.
Quite often physically challenged people are band from driving, the only option for independence is electric mobility scooters. The ebike gives them option to do some exercise if they want to while travelling quite a bit faster.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

• Dislike
Reactions: mike killay