Stolen Raleigh Motus Tour Electric Bike from outside Sainsbury’s in Stapleford, Nottingham on Saturday 27th February 2021 at 2.30 pm

molemead

Just Joined
Mar 7, 2021
41176Stolen new Raleigh Motus Tour Electric Bike fitted with upgrated 500W battery. Value £2,000. The frame is dark grey with black fittings. Reward for information leading to the apprehension of the thief and recovery of the bike.

It was locked with a key lock that prevented it being ridden away but the thief clearly knew this because he just walked up to it, picked it up and carried it away. He was young, wearing a dark grey coat but his back was towards the CCTV camera. Police are investigating.

Anyone with information please notify the Police by calling the non-emergency number, 101.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If a bike isn't secured to some street furniture then someone can always carry a bike away, tbh in todays world bike owners who don't do so are making the job easy for scum life to nick. I always use two locks.

D

Deleted member 33385

View attachment 41176Stolen new Raleigh Motus Tour Electric Bike fitted with upgrated 500W battery. Value £2,000. The frame is dark grey with black fittings. Reward for information leading to the apprehension of the thief and recovery of the bike.

It was locked with a key lock that prevented it being ridden away but the thief clearly knew this because he just walked up to it, picked it up and carried it away. He was young, wearing a dark grey coat but his back was towards the CCTV camera. Police are investigating.

Anyone with information please notify the Police by calling the non-emergency number, 101.

I hope I'm not victim blaming, but why didn't you lock it to a lampost or something? Use at least two locks - a D lock to secure to the immovable object, plus perhaps a cable going through both wheels. Mind you, an electric anglegrinder makes short work of D locks. I also use a GPS tracker with shock detection and SMS notification hidden in a rear light. Sorry to say, it'll probably be sold without the battery on Gumtree, loot, cash converters or ebay or somewhere for cash - after drilling the battery off and obfuscating the frame number.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Molemead locked the bike that way because the lock was provided and it was easy. Those locks are ridiculous. All they do is add unnecessary weight to a bike. Some think it's OK as long as you keep the bike in sight and are prepared to challenge anyone that tries to carry it away; however, one method the thieves use is with a car. The driver parks right next to it and the passenger simply lifts the bike in the air, then the driver drives off. This can take about 2 seconds.

As already said, you need to lock the bike to something immovable. there's no need for two locks, and no need for anything too expensive. You just need a lock that will defeat the methods used by the opportunist thieves, which are side-cutters for cables and bolt-croppers for chains. If they have hydraulic jacks, liquid nitrogen or an angle grinder, you'd probably lose your bike whatever lock you had, but that's not very common.

Reactions: pentiumofborg

FatBob

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2020
Greater Manchester
...it'll probably be sold without the battery on Gumtree, loot, cash converters or ebay or somewhere for cash - after drilling the battery off and obfuscating the frame number.
You might be "lucky" and be asked to pay a small ransom. The brass neck of some people...!

Reactions: pentiumofborg

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Molemead locked the bike that way because the lock was provided and it was easy. Those locks are ridiculous. All they do is add unnecessary weight to a bike. Some think it's OK as long as you keep the bike in sight and are prepared to challenge anyone that tries to carry it away; however, one method the thieves use is with a car. The driver parks right next to it and the passenger simply lifts the bike in the air, then the driver drives off. This can take about 2 seconds.

As already said, you need to lock the bike to something immovable. there's no need for two locks, and no need for anything too expensive. You just need a lock that will defeat the methods used by the opportunist thieves, which are side-cutters for cables and bolt-croppers for chains. If they have hydraulic jacks, liquid nitrogen or an angle grinder, you'd probably lose your bike whatever lock you had, but that's not very common.
Inclined to agree with you.. but with caveats. I have a motus, and the built in lock is fine , for the casual nip into a shop, frequented rarely.
I always remove the activa controller and stick it in my pocket. Now the Motus is really heavy ,and the weight is very much to the back, so having the back wheel immobile is a deterrent. That guy was strong lifting a Motus any distance. If I was going to be any longer eg a shopping centre ..I would use a chain lock also and attached via the frame to street furniture.
I once had a need to cut a hardened steel padlock off the garden gate. If it took 10 seconds to angle grind the lock off, I doubt it. ..more like 5.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Inclined to agree with you.. but with caveats. I have a motus, and the built in lock is fine , for the casual nip into a shop, frequented rarely.
I always remove the activa controller and stick it in my pocket. Now the Motus is really heavy ,and the weight is very much to the back, so having the back wheel immobile is a deterrent. That guy was strong lifting a Motus any distance. If I was going to be any longer eg a shopping centre ..I would use a chain lock also and attached via the frame to street furniture.
I once had a need to cut a hardened steel padlock off the garden gate. If it took 10 seconds to angle grind the lock off, I doubt it. ..more like 5.
I've got a Motus and was thinking of removing the built-in 'nurses' lock. Meanwhile, as I don't carry the key I'm hoping no prankster decides to lock it for me one day. All it does is make it more difficult to thread my cable lock through the only convenient gap in the step-through frame. I do very occasionally use the cable lock just to lock the wheel if there is nothing to lock it onto and it's a very short stay. The cable lock is fairly robust, but is still probably not going to deter any serious thief for more than a few moments.

Good luck with OP getting his back. I assume you are keeping an eye on ebay and Gumtree?

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
I've got a Motus and was thinking of removing the built-in 'nurses' lock. Meanwhile, as I don't carry the key I'm hoping no prankster decides to lock it for me one day. All it does is make it more difficult to thread my cable lock through the only convenient gap in the step-through frame.

Good luck with OP getting his back. I assume you are keeping an eye on ebay and Gumtree?
I like your term Nurses lock. I have a "Dutch Town Bike" and one of the first things I did was to remove that lock as I didn't want to find someone had locked it and removed they key while I had left it chained to railings when I went shopping.
Maybe in a country with less crime (Netherlands where my bike was bought?) they are fine as they have no need for high security locks. In the UK I keep everything locked even when it's in my garage. Sad times.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I like your term Nurses lock. I have a "Dutch Town Bike" and one of the first things I did was to remove that lock as I didn't want to find someone had locked it and removed they key while I had left it chained to railings when I went shopping.
Maybe in a country with less crime (Netherlands where my bike was bought?) they are fine as they have no need for high security locks. In the UK I keep everything locked even when it's in my garage. Sad times.
In the 50's everybody used to leave their front door open in the hope that someone would want to come in for a cup of tea. Now you have to put reinforcements on the door to stop people braking in.

I went out for a walk in the centre of Tokyo about 20 years ago and was surprised to see that everybody left their garage doors open. All their tools, bikes, machinery and other stuff was all on display, sometimes only feet from the footpath.

D

Deleted member 33385

View attachment 41176Stolen new Raleigh Motus Tour Electric Bike fitted with upgrated 500W battery. Value £2,000. The frame is dark grey with black fittings. Reward for information leading to the apprehension of the thief and recovery of the bike.

Have the Police fouund your bike thief and/or bike?

Nellie

Pedelecer
Jun 15, 2020
I have the axa victory version of this lock . The key is held captive until you lock it it also has a chain that loops around a lamppost or fixed object and plugs into the top of the lock so one key for ”2 locks” expensive and heavy yes but it’s on my electric tandem so weight isn’t such a consideration . The chain has a metal ring on the end which you pass chain thru making a sliding loop making the chain effectively twice as long as a normal style chain this allows me to run the chain thru front wheel with hub motor so the whole combination locks both wheels. It’s one of axa.s highest rated locks and quick and simple to use. The pin in the lock is hardened as is the chain the body of the lock is welded all round and is super strong unlike most of these frame locks. Even without using the chain for a quick stop it would be difficult to carry away a fully loaded tandem .

Barnsleyrob

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2020
In the 50's everybody used to leave their front door open in the hope that someone would want to come in for a cup of tea. Now you have to put reinforcements on the door to stop people braking in.

I went out for a walk in the centre of Tokyo about 20 years ago and was surprised to see that everybody left their garage doors open. All their tools, bikes, machinery and other stuff was all on display, sometimes only feet from the footpath.
Japan was was still like that when we visited in 2019. On a separate note, does anyone want to buy a Tokyo 2020 Olympic key ring ? It seemed a good idea at the time !

slowcoach

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
We have the Axa locks on our Motus bikes. Always use it to lock the two bikes together then another lock to fix them to street furniture. Going into the supermarket, take the batteries with us and the display. Weight no problem as we can put them in the trolley.If we are simply stopping to buy sandwiches for day cycle ride or use toilets, one stays with the bikes and even than they are locked by the Axa lock, keys removed, in order to prevent a distraction theft.

MichaelM

Pedelecer
Nov 14, 2020
The Axa Victory frame lock/nurse lock can be had in a removable key version. I have one I bought as a supplementary lock to fit to my new Cube, which has the eyelets in the seat stays. Unfortunately the distance between them is very slightly more than the maximum distance that the slots in the lock will accommodate, so I'll have to find a way of adapting one or the other.

DiggyGun

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2021
England
i don’t understand why you would leave your key in the unlocked lock, walk away and hope that no-one locks it and removes the key.

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
i don’t understand why you would leave your key in the unlocked lock, walk away and hope that no-one locks it and removes the key.
I always lock the bike to by chaining the frame & wheels to something solid. The nuses lock would be a very poor quality duplication of something I already do so it's pointless and was never used - I removed it so there's no chance of idiots locking it while I wasn't watching.

Personal choice, maybe you do things differently to me which is fine ;)