StoreDot Batteries

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
This Israeli Company has developed an Electric Scooter Battery that can be re-charged in 5 minutes . The Test on a Torrot Muvi Electric Scooter gave a 70 km range after charging to 100 % from 0 % in 5 minutes . The StoreDot batteries are Li-ion with less lithium than conventional batteries, but with more germanium and tin . By 2022 they claim to do the same with the Jaguar i Pace , Audi E-Tron and Mercedes EQC ie 480 km range after a 5 minute charge .
Now I thought if a lithium battery went down to 0 % it was scrap or needed a special charger ! The details are on the French site www.motoservices.com

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
There have always been fast charge batteries around, but there has always been a downside, like weight or capacity.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
This Israeli Company has developed an Electric Scooter Battery that can be re-charged in 5 minutes . The Test on a Torrot Muvi Electric Scooter gave a 70 km range after charging to 100 % from 0 % in 5 minutes . The StoreDot batteries are Li-ion with less lithium than conventional batteries, but with more germanium and tin . By 2022 they claim to do the same with the Jaguar i Pace , Audi E-Tron and Mercedes EQC ie 480 km range after a 5 minute charge .
Now I thought if a lithium battery went down to 0 % it was scrap or needed a special charger ! The details are on the French site www.motoservices.com
This link you may find interesting, it details clearly why leaving Li-ion batteries on a charger, is not a good idea for the long term life of the battery. Something I have experienced, but many do not believe!

Best of luck.
Andy

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
This link you may find interesting, it details clearly why leaving Li-ion batteries on a charger, is not a good idea for the long term life of the battery. Something I have experienced, but many do not believe!

This part in that article is completely wrong for ebike batteries:
"Li-ion does not need to be fully charged as is the case with lead acid, nor is it desirable to do so. In fact, it is better not to fully charge because a high voltage stresses the battery. Choosing a lower voltage threshold or eliminating the saturation charge altogether, prolongs battery life but this reduces the runtime."

You have to be very careful when reading stuff like that. What they're saying is completely accurate for some applications of lithium-ion cells, but not how we use them in electric bikes, so whatever you do do not get the idea that it's better not to fully charge your battery. Always fully charge your battery except an occasional partial charge for convenience. Occasional partial charges don't do any harm at all, but if you do a high proportion of partial charges, it can do a lot of harm.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
This part in that article is completely wrong for ebike batteries:
"Li-ion does not need to be fully charged as is the case with lead acid, nor is it desirable to do so. In fact, it is better not to fully charge because a high voltage stresses the battery. Choosing a lower voltage threshold or eliminating the saturation charge altogether, prolongs battery life but this reduces the runtime."

You have to be very careful when reading stuff like that. What they're saying is completely accurate for some applications of lithium-ion cells, but not how we use them in electric bikes, so whatever you do do not get the idea that it's better not to fully charge your battery. Always fully charge your battery except an occasional partial charge for convenience. Occasional partial charges don't do any harm at all, but if you do a high proportion of partial charges, it can do a lot of harm.
I have never heard of anyone doing partial charges as being normal, the people I know here with e-bikes, make sure they charge to full once the charge is less than enough for their needs. I have recommended to them to remove the charge cycle once the green LED goes on, as I have also had first hand experience that leaving them on charge when not in use is a bad Idea for the battery longevity, exactly what I had in mind when I posted, as I had the same e-bike as a friend of mine's mother.
Her identical bike (age and type) needed a new battery at around just over 12 months, because she left it on charge (Battery guarantee was exactly 12 months!), but my bike was given away with a still fully functioning battery, after 6 1/2 years.....
Only fully charged, but never left ON Charge. Subtle difference!!
The reason that so many believe that its OK to do the opposite of what I post, is because it increases the profit for the sellers of replacement batteries!! There is either no warning in manuals, or false information...
Nobody can tell me its wrong, because I know different!
Also, it cannot possibly harm the battery when doing it.
Got it now?
regards
Andy