Strange wheel speed problem

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
After four years of pretty much fault-free riding, I've got my first real problem.

2016 Whyte Coniston, Shimano E6010 drive train.

I get W011 intermittently, lasts a couple of seconds and goes back to normal. In addition, but not at the same time, my speedo becomes erratic, saying I'm doing 25/32/46/87/98mph. Obviously when showing these speeds, it cuts the motor. Lasts a few moments, then goes back to normal. Seems no rhyme nor reason, but it's doing it several times a mile.

Odd thing that I have noticed is, so far as I can tell, it only does it when pedalling. I've never seen it when coasting down a long hill. Cycle back up the same hill and it'll do it. Have experimented with this several times, with the same results. This makes me think it's not the magnet or sensor that's at fault (simplistic view, I know).

I'm not particularly technical, so I think it's a bike shop jobbee, but I just wondered if anyone had any ideas. I've checked and realigned the spoke magnet, and have also replaced it. I've checked and cleaned the sensor, cleaned the contacts that the LCD screen connects to, and have looked for anything obvious, which there isn't, to my limited ability.

Any thoughts very much appreciated.

Gaz

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Of course, having dobbed it in, I've just done eight miles fault-free, with the exception of the last 100yds, where W011 popped up its ugly head again, but this time hasn't gone away.

Gaz

IMG_2913.JPG

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
W011 is a speed sensor issue.