Strava Electric Bike Club

D

Deleted member 4366

When I put my curser in the same place, I get 9.8 miles, 128ft and 5.9%. It doesn't allow 9.9 miles. The next possible is 10.1!

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Actually I think I jumped in too early. Now I have looked in more detail at Strava I am not sure if I am that keen - it is all about being competitive! What I thought it was is a group to share routes, rides, perhaps even arrange meet ups. So I'll probably not pursue this, but we'll see. Name-wise, please call me Jay Jay.
On my e-bike everything over 16 mph is by leg power so the only way I can get a kom is on the really steep 25%ers. I try to go up them without using turbo so I have to work hard which also denies me a kom. If I accidentally show the hard men up (and some bikers are as hard as nails on hills ) i just make that ride private. On flat rides I go faster on a road bike..... marginally. .
Reading this and a few other posts I wonder how even the younger and fitter can propel a heavy e bike to speeds in excess of 20 mph. is it that some bikes are able to give more assistance? I have read enough to convince me that it's not just a speed up device thing, so how how is it done? Or Is it just me that's old and weak?
Thanks for that.
We will just keep going for now and see what happens.
To be honest anything over 20Mph is either under leg power or gravity.
Plenty of lycras can almost double my speed on the hills round here.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
I don't understand. The Stava plot shows the steepest hill is about 10%, but your photo shows one about 30 deg, which is more or less 50%.
If you log into Strava you get more accuracy and you get 3 readings per mile.on this run.

Biscitt

Pedelecer
Oct 7, 2015
Just joined this to give Strava a go. Also not competitive but might encourage me to get out more and burn off some excess pounds.

Reactions: EddiePJ and Artstu

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Welcome aboard. I set this up mainly so folk could see if others were riding in their area.

Reactions: EddiePJ

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I just joined now 32 in Robert's club, no one else in my nr vicinity :(. EPJ is a good hr to hr1/2's ride away and Kirsten is like wise down South of me, although I was in Shoreham on my bike last week :).

Reactions: Kinninvie

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Nealh, when the weather gets better, we will have to meet up mid way for a spin or coffee. :)

My ride tonight wasn't so great. With the e-mtb being serviced, I popped out on the KTM Ultra 1964 pedal bike, and unfortunately mid way through the evenings ride, I had the chain snap! It couldn't have happened at a worse place. The bottom of a muddy valley that had a stream. Fixing a chain, in the dark, on a muddy bike, when you are starting to get pretty cold, is no fun.
On the positive side of things, at least I ride prepared for things like that happening. :)

Reactions: Kinninvie and Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My coffee would be a Guinness :D. Like wise I carry spare 6 - 8" of chain, chain splitter and basic tools.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
My coffee would be a Guinness :D. Like wise I carry spare 6 - 8" of chain, chain splitter and basic tools.
I carry a spare chain and a splitter along with patches,a spare inner tube and some Co2 canisters(and a small pump).
Also carry insulating tape,spare xt90s etc.
Over the past 3 years I have only used one patch so far.

James Smalley

Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2016
Any body mind if I join up to the group, currently I use sweat power, but I also make use of a virtual reality trainer (indoor computerised trainer that simulates gradient, surface and weather conditions), which posts to strava as virtual rides. I used to suffer as you guys did with having rides withdrawn from the net due to disgruntled lycra's.... even had that after posting real times too....I plan to have my new ebike, around week 18 (mid April) when it is released, and will continue to post to strava when I use the ebike. I am not a great lover of the competitiveness of strava and blame it partly for the break up of the group of riders I used to go out with, however, now I don't really care for it, but its a useful tool to measure my own performance against.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Any body mind if I join up to the group, currently I use sweat power, but I also make use of a virtual reality trainer (indoor computerised trainer that simulates gradient, surface and weather conditions), which posts to strava as virtual rides. I used to suffer as you guys did with having rides withdrawn from the net due to disgruntled lycra's.... even had that after posting real times too....I plan to have my new ebike, around week 18 (mid April) when it is released, and will continue to post to strava when I use the ebike. I am not a great lover of the competitiveness of strava and blame it partly for the break up of the group of riders I used to go out with, however, now I don't really care for it, but its a useful tool to measure my own performance against.
I shall look forward to seeing how you go on the Giant (hopefully that's the bike?) you can now list your e-bike rides as e-bike, so no more hassle with other users and the leaderboard. The stats also finally at long last count up in clubs like this too.

James Smalley

Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2016
I shall look forward to seeing how you go on the Giant (hopefully that's the bike?) you can now list your e-bike rides as e-bike, so no more hassle with other users and the leaderboard. The stats also finally at long last count up in clubs like this too.
Ah yes, planning on the Giant. Went to a Giant store on saturday and confirmed availability, sizing etc, however there is no bike to demo yet, so I am reluctant to commit such a sum with out a demo. The large are being built last, so it will be a few weeks before I find out if it suits me. Good news on the seperate posting!!!

Reactions: Artstu

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
No problem at all
Welcome aboard