Struggling up hills

davie150

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2019
Aberdeen
Hi, new member here from Aberdeen, Scotland.
I am trying to get fitter this year, going to gym more often, more golf and have started to cycle to work.
Took my over 10 year old Raleigh Metro hybrid out of garage and am using that, the journey in to work is mostly downhill, 19 minutes, but home wards is 32 mins, with 1 big hill in particular that I have to stop twice on.
I am now looking at e bikes, either a new one or a conversion kit for my old bike.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Raleigh bikes are easy to convert.
is this your bike?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You should look into hub kits, you can't fit a mid motor crank drive without losing that propstand.
He could mount another stand without breaking the bank though.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
I am trying to get fitter this year,
the journey in to work is mostly downhill, 19 minutes, but home wards is 32 mins, with 1 big hill in particular that I have to stop twice on.
Lucky guy. Sounds like a great commute to have. 20 min downhill in, so nice and fresh, then a slightly tougher journey home, where you can really push, get up a nice sweat, then have a lovely shower when home.
That'll be a fantastic way to get fit!
Only trouble is .... after a few months, you'll get fitter, faster, and should really need to be looking at a longer time on the saddle - so you'll need to plan a longer route to still ensure you push yourself. No pain, no gain and all that.
Sounds like you don't really need an e-bike :)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
This is my bike, over 10 year old at least
Is it worth paying £500 to convert this, or pay just £350 more for the woosh Karoo?
it's still in very good nick.
I'd convert it.

davie150

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2019
Aberdeen
I see what you are saying, I made home in 26 minutes this morning, so I am getting fitter, but I was shattered when I did.
I will go on longer cycles on my days off when I get an e bike as I will know that I have some power back up behind me.

Last edited:

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
I see what you are saying, I made home in 26 minutes this morning, so I am getting fitter, but I was shattered when I did.
I will go on longer cycles on my days off when I get an evoke as I will know that I have some power back up behind me.
Don't get me wrong, I love e-bikes, but you're going to get fitter if you commute home on a normal bike and HAVE to push yourself. Its human nature to usually go for the easy option.
Personally, I'd keep the bike you have as it is, use it as a 'winter' type machine for commuting, then maybe buy a ready made ebike for those other, longer pleasure journeys on a nice day.

And I'm speaking from experience :)

davie150

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2019
Aberdeen
I have the easier option already, a Suzuki 1250 lol. So even though it is human nature to go for the easier option, I do not think I am in this case.
I was thinking of getting a new bike as opposed to converting, using the e bike till my legs got stronger, as I am sure they will and then maybe using the old bike for commuting again, exactly as you have said. Keeping my new one for longer runs on days off

Attachments

Robbieg

Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2016
Burton on trent
I have the easier option already, a Suzuki 1250 lol. So even though it is human nature to go for the easier option, I do not think I am in this case.
I was thinking of getting a new bike as opposed to converting, using the e bike till my legs got stronger, as I am sure they will and then maybe using the old bike for commuting again, exactly as you have said. Keeping my new one for longer runs on days off
The ebike will be better for the work commute though because you won't need to shower when you get there.

Reactions: davie150

davie150

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2019
Aberdeen
Ok, I am away to post on which bike should I buy, to get an idea of what to get and if I go down the buy new route I will do so with some info behind me