Stuck in Top Gear - advice requested

themutiny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2009
No, nothing to do with messrs Clarkson et al.

The gear cable on my Torq1 has come away from the shifter, although the cable itself seems OK. Had a quick look, but I cannot work out how it might be reattached to the shifter. Tried google but no joy there. Is this a relatively easy DIY or does it mean a trip to my LBS?

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Nick

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, the nipple has either slipped off the cable end or snapped away. It's the LBS as you say.

To overcome the high top gear problem, first open up a spare 13 amp plug and take out the loose earth pin. Then on the bike, pull away the outer cable at the rear mechanism and cut the inner cable so there's a short length protuding. It's tough to cut so you need good cutters.

Slip the earth pin eye over the inner cable, push in the derailleur rear mechanism arm to get the gear aligned with one a little lower and tighten the screw on that earth pin to clamp the position. You may need a couple of adjustment to get it lined up ok. Then you'll be able to pedal to the LBS in a middling gear. Alternatively, mount the earth pin on the cable at the handlebar end if you can pull the inner cable through with pliers while someone else pushes the rear mechanism arm in.

Last edited: