Sub £1000 full throttle bike for someone with ME (chronic fatigue)

Falesh

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 15, 2019
I am looking for a bike that I don't need to peddle as I don't have the spare energy for that. I won't be using it for long journeys, just once or twice a week around town. Ideally a sit up and beg style, again to save energy as it is a more relaxing posture. Any suggestions would be most appreciated! :D

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Out of luck there all new bikes after 2016 either won't have throttle or if configured to have one requires the rider to pedal for activation. You will most certainly be looking at a hub drive bike pre 2016 or a kit package.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Have a look for a little used pre 2016 bike with a full use throttle and a tired battery, esp bikes with a behind the seat one. Usually plenty around. These batteries are often cheaper now as they are not so common on new bikes. Budget for around £250 for a new battery with your purchase price. Freego, Woosh and Wisper all used these and their bikes are all well built. Ideally one that still has some power left to test it out, otherwise non runners can be alot of trouble.

Falesh

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 15, 2019
I'd rather get something new then second hand, breaking down would be a big deal. Since that is not possible for a bike, is there a twist and go kit that would be recommended?

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I found just sitting there twisting the throttle more fatiguing than pedalling on my first e-bike, so I wouldn't rule out some light pedalling.

Adamski

Pedelecer
Nov 27, 2018
I have chronic fatigue as part of my EDS, my Voodoo Bazinga on turbo mode just needs you to twirl the pedals...great fun, and not tiring!

Reactions: Eagleowl

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi Adamski,

You can buy most Chinese bikes, an Oxygen bike, a Juicy bike, a Wisper bike, a Cyclotricity etc and have a throttle fitted. There is no legal issue with having a throttle that lets you ride the bike at 15.5mph. Just order it with your bike.
The law forbids manufacturers to sell an electrically assisted pedal cycle with a twist and go throttle. We manufacturers can fit a throttle and activate it after the user pedals a few seconds. That's the most common method because it only involves a little software change. The second method is to fit an after market throttle. The first method is the most popular because it's legal, the second less popular because it relies on a DfT concession, not the same certainty as the law.

Last edited:

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
You can buy most Chinese bikes, an Oxygen bike, a Juicy bike, a Wisper bike, a Cyclotricity etc and have a throttle fitted. There is no legal issue with having a throttle that lets you ride the bike at 15.5mph. Just order it with your bike.
with the oxygen you get a throttle with the bike and have to fit it yourself. Very easy. However may be slightly out of your price range

D

Deleted member 128

I am looking for a bike that I don't need to peddle as I don't have the spare energy for that. I won't be using it for long journeys, just once or twice a week around town. Ideally a sit up and beg style, again to save energy as it is a more relaxing posture. Any suggestions would be most appreciated! :D
Good luck with your search. ebikes tend to be rather heavy and cumbersome to wheel around compared with push bikes and I suggest you visit a local supplier eg Halfords to get a feeling for this.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
in case you can't find anything local to suit your need, I have the Woosh Crusa with 13AH for £849.
It's a nice American Beach Cruiser style bike, suitable for flat-ish terrain and riders weight up to 17st.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?crusa

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Maybe you should clarify a little. The website for the Cruiser says and great hill climbing whereas above you say suitable for flat-ish terrain. It does look like a fun bike at a very reasonable price (I was tempted by that and the Santana before going for a 2nd hand Motus).

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Maybe you should clarify a little. The website for the Cruiser says and great hill climbing whereas above you say suitable for flat-ish terrain.
I have to change the advice because the OP can't pedal normally.
If used on the throttle, the Crusa does not give as much power as it would on assist level 5.
You can change the power settings (from 20% to 100%) of all the 5 assist levels on the KD58C LCD but you can't reprogram the power setting of the throttle.

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
I have CFS/ME and I love my crusa - it has changed my life

My only issues are wheeling it with shopping packed into my panniers and getting it up and down steps as I'm not very strong

But the whole electric bike thing has been amazing - set the gears low on a bad day and the motor on 5 and pedalling is very low effort much less than walking imo

Reactions: Eagleowl and Artstu

onthe-edge

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2018
portsmouth
I have CFS/ME and I love my crusa - it has changed my life

My only issues are wheeling it with shopping packed into my panniers and getting it up and down steps as I'm not very strong

But the whole electric bike thing has been amazing - set the gears low on a bad day and the motor on 5 and pedalling is very low effort much less than walking imo

Do you not have 'walk assist' ? my bike will travel at 4mph alongside me when I'm walking if I keep my finger on a button on the LCD. I often use it for going up steps .

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Do you not have 'walk assist' ? my bike will travel at 4mph alongside me when I'm walking if I keep my finger on a button on the LCD. I often use it for going up steps .
yes, the Crusa has the walk assist function. Press and hold the - button for 3 seconds to start the motor, let go of the - button to stop. However, I would not recommend katymac to use it because it's OK for a healthy person to use but may be too fast for her condition.

onthe-edge

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2018
portsmouth
[QUOTE However, I would not recommend katymac to use it because it's OK for a healthy person to use but may be too fast for her condition.[/QUOTE]

I quite understand that, as I said in another thread some time ago, I would like mine to be slower on the flat because at times I struggle to keep up with it.

Katymac

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2017
Norfolk
Almost certainly for a long walk - mind you it might have helped when I had a flat and had to push it nearly 2 miles.....I thought I was going to die!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Djusername

Pedelecer
Mar 8, 2019
I got one my pic 6 months ago throttle managed de restrict onlcd. Pretty poor quality paint and components marks easy, chips but done 150 miles so far as works fine. It quite comfy and can fold up roll onto bus and train. My m.e cfs quite bad helps me out a lot and lock outside footy games etc. Took it lots away games coach too and locked inside.

Seem quite few around 450 to 500 quid eBay now prefer look off to mine. Itis risk buyin* Chinese stuff hope mine last least a year or more. Mine was 450;but got part refund for a reason marks etc.Mine LG batteries said 4200 mah seam got 8 miles off it only throttle depends hills. Not been a hill it not got up yet slough some been 4mph. I 12.5 Stone Age 34 quite few people comment on it.

Wish got one years ago and at 14kg can lift back my car just lighters one found called e,rider. Just hope lasts as reliant on it il get another folding ebike try if fails my mates ebike hugs and heavy be useless for me. This bike evens fits my mates corsa boot, taxis foldin best option if can’t pedal. Even on assist 5 if no efforts just aches hip turn pedals round keep motor on.

People on here told me computer name and instruction some sellers will take off restriction, mine pick up quick for 250w and cruises 15.5 mph on flat. I thought ache more and sting mustles but i don’t as long not got up lip sync and bumps etc. It worth having I will admit scared it failing. Looking for light folding mobilty scooter see e foldi but not sure look off it.

Nice people not know I I’ll as well on a bike.

Attachments

Last edited: