Sudden Major Steering Problem

Poolepete

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2018
Poole
Just as I left for my trip home this evening on my Raleigh Motus, I noticed the steering felt notch. I stopped to see what was holding the steering up and turned the bars. Going through the 'break' of the notch, the steering sounded and felt that it was lubricated by broken glass!

I cycled home very carefully...

What has broken? The bike only has 2800 miles and I have kept it serviced by the LBS, most recently in November

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Just as I left for my trip home this evening on my Raleigh Motus, I noticed the steering felt notch. I stopped to see what was holding the steering up and turned the bars. Going through the 'break' of the notch, the steering sounded and felt that it was lubricated by broken glass!

I cycled home very carefully...

What has broken? The bike only has 2800 miles and I have kept it serviced by the LBS, most recently in November
Sad.
If they serviced in November, do they "stand by" their work?
Best wishes that its something really simple.
Regards
Andy

Reactions: Poolepete

Poolepete

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2018
Poole
Thanks Andy

I will find out on Monday. Even though the bike is 17 months old, I would be surprised if I get charged for any repair. I bought it from them so will soon see if they like me or not! I will report any findings, but it would be great to have some thoughts as to what has gone wrong. Though I can do brakes, gears, chain etc, steering is not something I've had to play with before.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
At a guess, it sounds to me like broken bearings in the headset. Hitting kerbs/potholes/jarring can cause that, as can overtightening. Does the steering wobble front to back a little now too?

Others with much greater expertise than me will be along shortly...

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
could be the head set bearings need replacing the ones that came with my haibike were cheap as it gets and lasted about the same mileage.

• Agree
Reactions: ebiker99 and Woosh

Poolepete

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2018
Poole
Thank you both for your replies. I thought that maybe the case with the headset, but can't believe that it failed so suddenly and catastrophically. The bike is dangerous to ride. I will be putting in a polite moan to Raleigh about it, otherwise the bike has been exceptional.
Can't believe I have to drive to work tomorrow....for the first time this year!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if any crud gets in them they wont last long no matter how much they cost and it dont take much either to grind them tto bits over the miles.

my ses wheel bearing needs replacing every 6 months or will sound like a bag of spanners.

when i did replace my head set bearings no grease was in there at all so any crud went in to the bearing seals :rolleyes:

Poolepete

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2018
Poole
Things got worse this morning...as I left home to take my sickly bike to the LBS, the battery refused to turn on! The Intuvia display was active, but did not show speed. The bike would not start from the switch on the battery either.

When at the LBS, they plugged into the Bosch diagnostic and nothing doing. So it looks like my battery has died as well. Fortunately, that is still covered under the 2 year Bosch warranty.

More updates to follow, one consolation though. The LBS is a couple of long steep hills away from me. This time last year there would be no way I could have cycled my bike there without assistance. Today, it was not a problem - just a little puffed. Conclusive proof that ebikes make you fit (at least in my mind)!

Fishy

Pedelecer
Nov 16, 2018
Totally agree, since I've had mine, I'm definitely fitter, undoubtedly because I use the bike at every chance I get, TBH, I get a bit annoyed now when I have to use my car for whatever reason.

Poolepete

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2018
Poole
Totally agree, since I've had mine, I'm definitely fitter, undoubtedly because I use the bike at every chance I get, TBH, I get a bit annoyed now when I have to use my car for whatever reason.
I am exactly the same! Really unhappy about having to drive to work for the next five days, hate driving through Poole at rush hour...

Reactions: Fishy

zakventis

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2017
UK - Wales - Monmouth
Things got worse this morning...as I left home to take my sickly bike to the LBS, the battery refused to turn on! The Intuvia display was active, but did not show speed. The bike would not start from the switch on the battery either.

When at the LBS, they plugged into the Bosch diagnostic and nothing doing. So it looks like my battery has died as well. Fortunately, that is still covered under the 2 year Bosch warranty.
I had an identical problem with a Trek/Performance CX/Intuvia (@ 9,000 miles/2.25 years). Just like yours nothing on the diagnostic so the motor was sent to Bosch who found "faults" and replaced the motor free of charge. I still had to pay £75 for labour as it was out of guarantee but so far, after nearly 1,000 miles, it performs perfectly. Curiously, the replacement motor is much quieter.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I had an identical problem with a Trek/Performance CX/Intuvia (@ 9,000 miles/2.25 years). Just like yours nothing on the diagnostic so the motor was sent to Bosch who found "faults" and replaced the motor free of charge. I still had to pay £75 for labour as it was out of guarantee but so far, after nearly 1,000 miles, it performs perfectly. Curiously, the replacement motor is much quieter.
they charged you 75 to fit a motor?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
my lbs wants 45 to plug in a usb cable and run diagnostics buy pushing a button so not that bad tbh.

you can fit a motor in 10mins ;)